@tatyduff – Every hour that we are breathing, we are sent to be disciples.
@HMSFoster2 – Jesus defeated death. He did what He said He would do.
@Brokermugi – Our missions don’t replace Jesus mission….its a transfer of the Mission of Jesus to us
Sermon Title: Famous Last Words
Date: Feb 25, 2018
1. Wise words
• Help us through life, help us grow
• All of our heroes have wise words to say
2. Famous Last Words
Every culture on earth celebrates last words
The end of every life provides wisdom & commentary
3. The last words of Jesus
• Some of the most ignored words on Earth
• So wise, so life changing, so amazing we wish they weren’t there
• It is my prayer that these last words of Jesus will change you life
4. John 20:19-21 (ESV)
• 19 On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being locked where the
disciples were for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to
them, “Peace be with you.” 20 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his
side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. 21 Jesus said to them
again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.”
• Easter evening. Jesus had been killed. He was gone.
• The disciples were hiding in fear for their lives.
• They were known as followers of Jesus and were wanted men
• Jesus shows himself to the disciples and says peace be with you
• Jesus proves to them his death and resurrection through scars
5. A new purpose. A new commission from Jesus
• I am sending you!
• Not replacing the mission of Jesus. Not becomes Jesus. Continuing the work of Jesus
• A transfer of the mission of God (to seek and save the lost) from Jesus to us
• This means we are “on mission” in every corner of this earth….forever until he returns!
• It is a continual job. Continually preach the gospel, disciple others and equip the saints
6. The example of Isaiah (Isaiah 6:8)
• And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?” Then
I (Isaiah) said, “Here I am! Send me.” 9 And he (God) said, “Go…”
• The is the attitude of being sent. I’ll do it, Lord
• I exist to serve you. I exist to be sent by you
• Being sent is an active role to do something bigger and better than what you’re doing now
7. The example of Paul (Romans 10:14)
• How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to
believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone
• Paul was so driven by the words of Jesus that he spent the remainder of his life being sent
8. Application 1: Purpose in famous last words
• Find purpose in obeying the last words of Jesus
• Find purpose in joining in God’s grand plan to redeem humanity
• Find purpose in being called and sent by Jesus to seek and save the lost
9. Application 2: Be willing to take risks to be sent
• Jesus, Isaiah, Paul are heroes of the faith. They all took risks and they all suffered
• Being sent means being changed by God
• I am sending you! Not your neighbor, not the guy next to you. YOU!