Dawn Dalton – When you stand before God everything in you will be exposed.
Todd Sommer – Your church leaders had to die to something.
Brian Faith – One of our biggest jobs is to get out of the way of God.
Dawn Dalton – The church today has used the “gifts” to get butts in the seats.
God’s View on Gifts
- Proverbs 18: 16 – (16) “A man’s gift makes room for him, And brings him before great men.”
Acts 8: 9-25 – (9) But there was a certain man called Simon, who previously practiced sorcery in the city and astonished the people of Samaria, claiming that he
was someone great, (10) to whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, “This man is the great power of God.” (11) And they heeded him because
he had astonished them with his sorceries for a long time. (12) But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the
name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized. (13) Then Simon himself also believed; and when he was baptized he continued with Philip, and was
amazed, seeing the miracles and signs which were done. (14) Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they
sent Peter and John to them, (15) who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. (16) For as yet He had fallen upon none
of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. (17) Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit. (18) And when Simon
saw that through the laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Spirit was given, he offered them money, (19) saying, “Give me this power also, that anyone on whom
I lay hands may receive the Holy Spirit.” (20) But Peter said to him, “Your money perish with you, because you thought that the gift of God could be purchased with
money! (21) You have neither part nor portion in this matter, for your heart is not right in the sight of God. (22) Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray
God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you. (23) For I see that you are poisoned by bitterness and bound by iniquity.” (24) Then Simon answered and
said, “Pray to the Lord for me, that none of the things which you have spoken may come upon me.” (25) So when they had testified and preached the word of the Lord,
they returned to Jerusalem, preaching the gospel in many villages of the Samaritans.”
- Simon wanted to exalt “self” w/them.
Gifts are only meant to exalt the “Giver”
Matthew 7:21-23 – (21) “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. (22) Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ (23) And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
- Our focus must be deeply KNOWING God
- Acts 16:16-18 – (16) Now it happened, as we went to prayer, that a certain slave girl possessed with a spirit of divination met us, who brought her masters much profit by fortune-telling. (17) This girl followed Paul and us, and cried out, saying, “These men are the servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to us the way of salvation.” (18) And this she did for many days. But Paul, greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her.” And he came out that very hour.
- All that glitters isn’t gold!
“The Glitterati”: Simon and the damsel
- God’s abiding solution to “the Glitterati”
Matthew 16: 24-25 – (24) Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. (25) For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
TAKE UP OUR CROSS
- Acts 13:22 – (22) And when He had removed him, He raised up for them David as king, to whom also He gave testimony and said, “I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after My own heart, who will do all My will. … A BELIEVER AFTER GOD’S OWN HEART
The gifts are only meant to exalt God and God alone!!!Spread the Gospel!