“Derailing the Runaway Trains”
(Acts 14: 8-20)
- Acts 14: 9-10 ..(9) This man heard Paul speaking. Paul, observing him intently and seeing that he had faith to be healed, (10) said with a loud voice, “Stand up straight on your feet!” And he leaped and walked.”
- Paul sees the lame man’s faith and then shouts the directive (ie- stand up)
- Acts 14: 11-13 ..(11) Now when the people saw what Paul had done, they raised their voices, saying in the Lycaonian language, “The gods have come down to us in the likeness of men! (12) And Barnabas they called Zeus, and Paul, Hermes, because he was the chief speaker. (13) Then the priest of Zeus, whose temple was in front of their city, brought oxen and garlands to the gates, intending to sacrifice with the multitudes.”
- The people try to worship Paul and Barnabas.
- Acts 14: 14-18 ..(14) But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard this, they tore their clothes and ran in among the multitude, crying out (15) and saying, “Men, why are you doing these things? We also are men with the same nature as you, and preach to you that you should turn from these useless things to the living God, who made the heaven, the earth, the sea, and all things that are in them, (16) who in bygone generations allowed all nations to walk in their own ways. (17) Nevertheless He did not leave Himself without witness, in that He did good, gave us rain from heaven and fruitful seasons, filling our hearts with food and gladness.” (18) And with these sayings they could scarcely restrain the multitudes from sacrificing to them.”
- Paul & Barnabas tore their “clothes” and ran through the crowd saying… we are men not gods.
- Acts 14: 19-20 ..(19) “Then Jews from Antioch and Iconium came there; and having persuaded the multitudes, they stoned Paul and dragged him out of the city, supposing him to be dead. (20) However, when the disciples gathered around him, he rose up and went into the city. And the next day he departed with Barnabas to Derbe.”
- The Jews convince “the multitudes” to stone Paul (…Barnabas??)
- Paul dragged out of Lystra… DEAD!!
- But GOD… intervened; Paul’s raised up; AND goes back into Lystra
- Paul was derailing “…Runaway Trains”
The “Heathen Express”
The “Cold Storage Express”
- Paul took “the beating” AND “kept on preaching”
- Matthew 7: 13-14 ..(13) “ Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. (14) Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.”
Share The Gospel - Save The World