2 Sam 10 Shaved Off half their beards
- One time in Jr High, my older brother skipped school for 8 days before the school called. Turns out every day my mom was dropping him off at this kids house before school they were not going- After that- My brother wasn’t allowed to hang out with him anymore. Hard no.
- There are some people you shouldn’t help and associate with.
- 1 David is still showing Kindnessv-1-2 2 people misinterpreted his kindness and attacked him v 3-4 3. David covers their humiliation V5- lets them go to Jericho to grow their beards back out 4. The dudes realize they ruined the relationship V6 They became a stench to david-
- 5. David sends his whole armyV7-8 sends in Joab and Abishai 6. Joab and Abishai split up to win V 9-12 They have each others back- 7. The arameans and the ammonites lose 13-16 Both of them lose. No match for Israel- 8. The Arameans decide to fight and lose even worse show up with 40 lots die V17-19 9. The Arameans learn their lesson submit to Israel v 19
- V19 So the Syrians were afraid to help the people of Ammon anymore.
- Why was that? Why were they afraid to help the People of Ammon Anymore?
- I would think its because they realized it was a fools errand- No hope of success. They got sucked into a battle that wasn’t theirs, lost people, chariots and commanders.
- Never should have got involved. Never took on someones offense. Should have stayed away
- Don’t get involved in someone elses business
- The beginning of this story is that David wanted to continue to show Kindness, so he seeks out the Ammorites to bless their king. Some of the mid level guys assume it’s a spy game- not true
- Because David had been enemies with the Ammonites, they assumed the worst-
- So they humiliate these Guys by cutting beards and chopping clothes off- This is a local beef
- But the Ammonites are about to get it from David- so they hire the Syrians to get involved
This has NOTHING to do with the Syrians. They are mercenaries to the cause only.
- My dad was SPD- Told me as a kid- Never get involved in a fight you come upon- They turn on u
- Pr 26:17 He who passes by and meddles in a quarrel not his own Is like one who takes a dog by the ears.
- If you know anything about dogs- You take them by the ears you are getting bit- Bad plan.
- Proverbs 20:3b any fool can start a quarrel. It takes little to nothing to get people worked up
- But the Bible is clear- strife is bad. Fights are bad. Division is bad. God don’t like it.
- Had the Syrians backed out- Maybe the Ammonites would have clarified the intent (Motives)
- Prov 26: 20-21 Where there is no wood the fire goes out
- When you don’t add to the fight- get involved in the fight- it ceases to be a fight.
- (I’ve never been in a fistfight except with my brother and Jay at the northgate mall- I ran)
- What does it mean to you
- Stay out of other peoples business. Its none of your business. It has nothing to do with you.
Its amazing what people make their business.
- Paul wrote. 1 Thes 4:11 that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you,
- You are not in a reality show, detective show, sleuth show, or investigative reporter
- A lot of the news is “who did what” and people translate that into their own lives, and in church
- Lets follow you around all day, get in your checkbook, look up your past, find who hates you
- 1 Peter 4:15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, a thief, an evildoer, or as a busybody in other people’s matters.
- Story about Dad and the Union leader- Mom crossing the picket line.
- Bible puts murder in the same verse as a busybody- Every knows one- no one thinks they are one. Want to know everything about everyone but keep their life private.
- 1 Tim 5:13 And besides they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house, and not only idle but also gossips and busybodies, saying things which they ought not.
- Its sin. Pure and simple. Meddling in other peoples lives and problems.
- Christian lying “we are just praying” How can we pray without knowing?? Need more to pray
- Jn 21:22 Jesus said to him, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.” Worry about your own relationship with Jesus- not someone elses
- Don’t Take on someone elses offense
This is classic- The Syrians had no beef with Israel- but the Ammonites sucked them in
Syrians are like- I’m over here doing my house chores, but I got on facebook and got sucked into an argument about something I didn’t care about until everyone got in and I wanted in
Proverbs 1: 10 My son, if sinners entice you, Do not consent. 11 If they say, “Come with us,
Let us lie in wait to shed blood; Let us lurk secretly for the innocent without cause;
READ Proverbs 1: 8-18
They were HIRED by the Ammonites- Joab and Abishai beat them in battle- but it doesn’t end
The COME BACK with 40k Soldiers- to fight with Israel- They never had a beef- but come back with 20k more and now want to go head to head with David (Now david is getting involved)
Exodus 23:2 You shall not follow a crowd to do evil; nor shall you testify in a dispute so as to turn aside after many to pervert justice.
The Bible makes it clear- There are people who have offenses that are not yours
Its psychology- power of the crowd- you can work people up to get angry about anything
And people who are bent on destruction will recruit others to their cause as causualties
As a kid- 2 brothers friends (elementary) never wanted to play with me-Until mad at my bro
I was a PAWN- Sucked into their problems- But I was always left out- and now was IN
Some people never move past elementary school
Proverbs 18:13 He who answers a matter before he hears it, It is folly and shame to him.
What does it mean to you?
Do you get sucked into other peoples offenses?? When someone is mad at someone do you find yourself joining in with them without even knowing anything about the person?
Faith missing class- message, Prof didn’t care, faith upset- me and crystal- GET THE PITCHFORKS
Protect yourself- You can get sucked into things
2 Peter 3:16-18 You have to protect yourself so you don’t get pulled into others offenses
- Don’t spend time with people who like to go to war
It was clear these guys wanted to go to war- or at least the commanders of ammon did
They humlitated the men of Israel- Beards and Buttocks- Syrians got hired, Got offended, got involved.
The end of this story is clear that they learned some sort of lesson
- V19 So the Syrians were afraid to help the people of Ammon anymore.
- Good job Syrians- You learned your lesson- Go hang out with those people you’ll get it
- We live in a time where people cant manage the basics of their own life and want to get involved with people who have huge problems thinking they can be their savior
- For some people its quite wicked- they don’t care about the people- they want the trophy of being a person who helped them. There ARE people who can help certain types of people
- But not everyone should get involved with everyone- I’m not doing outreach at cowgirls
- I like what jer said- Jeremiah 15:17 I did not sit in the assembly of the mockers, Nor did I rejoice; I sat alone because of Your hand, For You have filled me with indignation.
- The Bible is clear in the OT and the NT that there are people you should just avoid.
- Modern day people will say “they need love and grace” and they DO- but they also don’t need us coming around approving of their sin and celebrating it with them
- Who would want their 13 year old hanging out with an addict? A spouse w a drug dealer?
- But people hang out with emotionally interpersonally destructive people thinking its ok
- Proverbs 22:24 Make no friendship with an angry man, And with a furious man do not go,
- Proverbs 4:14-15 Do not enter the path of the wicked, And do not walk in the way of evil. 15 Avoid it, do not travel on it; Turn away from it and pass on.
- Proverbs 20:19 He who goes about as a talebearer reveals secrets; Therefore do not associate with one who flatters with his lips.
- What does it mean to you
- Set relational limits with whom you associate based on Biblical principles.
- 1 Corinthians 15:33 Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits.”
- This is BIBLICAL. People will describe you as unloving, uncaring, with no grace, but REPEATEDLY throughout scripture it demands that there actually are people we should not be around.
- Psalm 26:4-5 I have not sat with idolatrous mortals, Nor will I go in with hypocrites. 5 I have hated the assembly of evildoers, And will not sit with the wicked.
- In the army after basic- Never drank a beer- drinking, cussing, carousing- the GROUP
- DISTANCE- Last time I was in a club was new years eve 1997- Met Crystal 2 weeks later.
- In the church- it’s a mixed bag- the broken growing come in, but long term professing Christians who continue to be destructive- you have to watch yourself- There are wolves among the sheep
- Romans 16:17 [ Avoid Divisive Persons ] Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them.
- You should want to honor God with your life. Some people are bent on destruction.
- Whats interesting is that in the Bible- lost of NT admonitions are to stay away from people who claim to be Christians who are destructive-
- 1 Cor 5:11-14 READ. It couldn’t be any clearer-
- sexually immoral– Someone who has elicit sex covetous– great desire to possess what someone else has, or an idolater– worships something other than God, or a reviler -To revile is to criticize in an abusive or hostile way, or to spread negative information about. When you verbally attack someone and call him names and say mean things,or a drunkard – imbiber or an extortioner- Someone that threatens to use info against another person.
- 2 Tim 3: 5 And from such people turn away! 2 Thes 3: 14 note that person and do not keep company with him, that he may be ashamed. 2 Corinthians 6:14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. Psalm 1:1 Proverbs 13:20 Proverbs 1:15
For more sermons visit our SERMONS PAGE
Please subscribe to our YOUTUBE PAGE