Beyond Emotions Romans 1:8-15
- Paul starts out in his greeting in Roman 1:1 – A bond-servant
- A slave of God, chosen by God to be an apostle and sent out to preach the Good News
- But that’s Paul- The heavy weight champion of the Spiritual ring
- You too are called to spread the Gospel
- Romans 10:15(Nkjv) – And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who [a]preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things
- At work
- With you Kids
- Friends you have
- The Faith of the Roman Christians is being talked about all the world – FVC
- I Paul pray for you – often so much that day and night I bring you and your needs in prayer
- He prays that he may be able to go and visit them, to see what God is doing through them and encourage them as well
- He desires to go and see them
- So that he can bring them some spiritual gifts that would encourage them
- They get to encourage each other
- He has tried but has been prevented until then
- He is eager to go to Rome and preach the gospel
- This evening I want to speak to you about our desires – our emotions that fuels our desires
- Paul uses the words, like I desire, eager, opportunity, long, planned many times
- Eva and I when we first met (2006)
- Wanting to spend time with each other
- Falling asleep talking on the phone
- Now, still talking to her to sleep, and calling her when am driving
- I long, am eager to spend speak with when I haven’t seen her all day
Paul has a love for Christ which is unmatched, he introduces himself not as Paul the great, but Paul and man that has given up everything to serve the Lord
He has a love for God’s people, to see the gospel spread, to encourage them. His desire is for Christ and Christ people
- There is no doubt that Paul’s heart is fully consumed by God, hence the visible fruits
- He is logging to be with the people of God no matter what it costs him
- His desire is to please God – Romans 12:1-2 (NKJV) – I beseech[a] you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your [b]reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
- What your desire this evening? What do you desire in your life? Where does the desire, longing, eagerness, plans for an intimate relationship with God fall in your life?
- Proverbs 16:1(NLT) We can make our own plans, but the Lord gives the right answer
- Why does He have right (Final) answer?
- Psalms 139:13-16 (NLT) You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb.14 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. 15 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.16 You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.
- A path was drawn out for you and for those of us who are Christians, we know what it feels like to stay in the will of God. There is unexplainable freedom – That we can face 2020 and still be joyful and not be fearful
- For those who are yet to know Christ, there is always going to be something missing in your life.
- You were created for a purpose and a plan – A great plan to give you a hope and a future.
- A plan where you don’t have to do it on your own, you have the creator of the universe saying:
- Psalms 139: 18-19 (Nkjv) How precious are your thoughts about me,[b] O God. They cannot be numbered! I can’t even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand And when I wake up, you are still with me!
- We may desire, long for the things of God, but it takes more than desire to keep Paul on his path
- Galatians 5:16-24 (NLT)
- We desire to live a Godly life, none of us want to steal, kill, lie, or cause anyone pain
- But as we read, you have a sinful nature being in this world that if we don’t live through the Spirit, we won’t overcome
- And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires.
- Two desires, one that give us life and the other that leads to death
- How do I get the good desire? Walk in the Spirit…how do you walk in the Spirit?
- Give your life completely to God – Turn away from sin and remember who you were made to be
- John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
- And if you have given your heart to Christ, then it’s time to put in the work
- 2 Kings 3
- King Mesha of Moab rebels against the Israelites
- King Joram declares war against the Moabites and calls on King Jehoshaphat of Judah to join him
- King of Edom and his troops joins in
- They choose a route through the wilderness for 7 days; they didn’t have water for themselves or their animals
- King Jehoshaphat of Judah asks if there is a prophet among them and Elisha happen to be there (Homework)
- Elisha enquires of the Lord and this is what the Lord says:
- 2 Kings 3:16- 18 – And he said, “Thus says the Lord: ‘Make this valley full of [a]ditches.’ 17 For thus says the Lord: ‘You shall not see wind, nor shall you see rain; yet that valley shall be filled with water, so that you, your cattle, and your animals may drink.’ 18 And this is a simple matter in the sight of the Lord; He will also deliver the Moabites into your hand.
- A work is required of us people of God. We have to be willing to dig trenches in order for God to fill in the water
- How much water is filled, depends on how deep you are willing to dig
- You want to dig alone, it will be a long night
- Joel 2:12-13(NJKV) – Now, therefore,” says the Lord, “Turn to Me with all your heart, With fasting, with weeping, and with mourning.” 13 So rend your heart, and not your garments; Return to the Lord your God, For He is gracious and merciful, Slow to anger, and of great kindness; And He relents from doing harm.
- I know that our desire is to serve the Lord, be kind to each other and stay away from sin, but desire itself is not enough
- Paul ended up going to Rome as a prisoner Acts 28:16
- Paul was Ship wretched and when they got to the Island of Malta , he was bitten by a snake – Acts 27 &28
- Paul was on house arrest in Rome – and guess what – his desire, logging was fulfilled because it was Holy Spirit lead!
- Acts 28:30-31(Nkjv) Then Paul dwelt two whole years in his own rented house, and received all who came to him, 31 preaching the kingdom of God and teaching the things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ with all confidence, no one forbidding him.
- Paul never forgot his love for Christ, His first love. He didn’t care what happened to him
- He was not led by emotion, He was led by the Spirit of God
- And this came by having a relationship with God – Paul after meeting God was in the desert for 3 years seeking God
- How much time are you on your knees seeking God- (Prayer night – God said, we aren’t praying in our homes)
- Come willing to dig trenches, putting the work in prayer and fasting
- Being in an intimate relationship with God
- Have we forgotten our first love?
- As I prayed for our church the last few weeks, I felt God say to Faith and Victory Church
Revelation 2:1-5 – To the [a]angel of the church of Ephesus write,
‘These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands: 2 “I know your works, your labor, your [b]patience, and that you cannot [c]bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; 3 and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name’s sake and have not become weary. 4 Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. 5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent
- Tonight, I want us to go back to our first love, to seek His face and ask for repentance
- Song tonight (Refiner – Maverick City Music – Purify me, I want to tried like fire, purified, you take whatever you desire, Lord here is my life!
- This might mean, being like my neighbor Alec – Mila
1 Corinthians 3:10-13 (NKJV)According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is.
I want to be tested today!!!
For more sermons visit our SERMONS PAGE
Please subscribe to our YOUTUBE PAGE