Eph. 2:10, For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.
– As Christian believers, there’s a question we ask ourselves during many seasons of our lives: “What does God want me to do with my life?” what am Icalled to do?
– Sometimes people can become somewhat paralyzed by this thought, and won’t do anything as they wait for God to tell them what to do. The fear is, “What if I choose wrong?”
– 1 Kings 19, Elijah is passing his anointing on to Elisha. He finds Elisha plowing the fields. When he is called, he builds a fire with the plow, and cooks the oxen. Never to return.
– Elisha was working where he was at, waiting to be called, and once called, responded.
– You have work to do, and God’s will to obey RIGHT NOW.
1. We are all called. (God’s general will for all of us.)
– Everyone is called to Love God, and Love People!
– Matt 22:35-40, One of them, an expert in religious law, tried to trap him with this question: “Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses? Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”
– This is what Jesus said was the most important. Love IS action, not just words.
– Accept their faults. Forgive them for hurting you. Have compassion for what they are going through. This is what you want for yourselves!
– Micah 6:8, O people, the Lord has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
– We, as people, love to see others “get what they deserve”. This is not a Christian virtue.
– This only satisfies the flesh, Show people the same mercy God has shown you!
– 1 Peter 3:8-9,Finally, all of you should be of one mind. Sympathize with each other. Love each other as brothers and sisters. Be tenderhearted, and keep a humble attitude. Don’t repay evil for evil. Don’t retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will grant you his blessing.
– The Bible is full of instruction on what God’s will is for His people. Read it, and do what it says!
2. You have been called. (God’s specific will for the individual.)
– Self-centered-ness is at the heart of man.
– Example: Graduation speeches, the main goal was to seek happiness. Not success, or service. Not making the world a better place… just do what make you happy. That’s what is truly valuable.
– They are all good kids, but this is the expression of our generation. All about self.
– This is a tool of the enemy. If we are focused on ourselves, then we won’t be focused on God.
– To know your calling, you have to stop looking at yourself, and start living for the Lord.
– Romans 12:1-2, And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
– Let God change your perspective by submitting to His authority in every area of your life.
– Romans 8:28, And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and arecalled according to his purpose for them.
– “for the good” (God’s idea of what is good for us, no our own.)
– “called according to his purpose” (Not just whatever we do, but for the specific purpose he has for us.)
– Don’t make a plan and ask God to bless it, ask God for His plan, and it will be blessed!
– Romans 12:4, Just as our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function, so it is with Christ’s body. We are many parts of one body, and we all belong to each other.
– Example: High angle rope rescue.Specifically designed for safety and redundancy. Hardware, ropes, knots, basket, trained tech.. every part necessary, especially if you’re the pt.
– God has designed you for a specific purpose. If you are obedient to it, it will grow the Kingdom!
3. Why you were called. (Live out your calling.)
– You won’t be evaluated by what you did in this life, but what you were CALLED to do.
**PLAY VIDEO. Stop the video at 4 minutes 10 seconds. (4:10)** https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5jCQkK6Rs8
– To “judge” is to evaluate something based on the evidence. “Good” things will have value, but “God” things will have much more.
– Here is a great biblical illustration given by Paul about how this works:
– 1 Cor. 3:10-15, Because of God’s grace to me, I have laid the foundation like an expert builder. Now others are building on it. But whoever is building on this foundation must be very careful. For no one can lay any foundation other than the one we already have—Jesus Christ. Anyone who builds on that foundation may use a variety of materials—gold, silver, jewels, wood, hay, or straw. But on the judgment day, fire will reveal what kind of work each builder has done. The fire will show if a person’s work has any value. 14 If the work survives, that builder will receive a reward. 15 But if the work is burned up, the builder will suffer great loss. The builder will be saved, but like someone barely escaping through a wall of flames.
– This means that your calling must be built on the work of Jesus Christ.
– You have a choice of what you will build, and it matters what you do in this life.
– Example: Construction of a building. There are blue prints to follow, and many jobs. You can’t just do your own thing, duplicate efforts, mismatched work, delays, etc…
– The plumber can’t say, “Look what a great wall I built”, If it was built in the wrong place.
– We also see that all the “builders” were saved.
– This isn’t a salvation issue, but what pleases God, and fits into His plan.
– Eph. 6:8, Remember that the Lord will reward each one of us for the good we do…
– Your service to the Lord will have value, but how much more if you are serving in the placed he has called you to?
– You will find your purpose while in prayer, & reading God’s word. That’s how He will speak to you.
– Seek Him, and he will reveal your calling. Maybe not right away, but as you follow his leading, things will become more clear. As he grows you, he will reveal more and more.
– The Holy Spirit inside you will lead you to God’s will for your life, and your calling.
– Proverbs 3:6, Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.
– prayer –