Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | RSS | More
2 sam 8- String Up The Chariots- Why? Couldn’t think of a better name- Lets walk through it
- God’s Victory and protection
- V6So the Lord preserved David wherever he went
- This word preserved is more than protection. The protection was victory- It was the victory that David Got as he went and established himself in the A-O. He was rooting out the enemies of Israel and setting up his kingdom
- And God Blessed him!
- David attacked the Philistines and subdued them. David took Metheg Ammah ,he defeated Moab. the Moabites became David’s servants, and brought tribute.3 David also defeated Hadadezer,. 4 David took from him,David killed twenty-two thousand, David put garrisons, Syrians became David’s servants, and brought tribute.
- David was making it happen! He was ruling his kingdom and subduing his enemies-
- This is a story that is repeated throughout the OT- When Israel honored God- they experienced Victory over their enemies, but when they didn’t, they experienced defeat
- Judges 3:30 So Moab was subdued that day under the hand of Israel. And the land had rest for eighty years.
- Numbers 14: 45 Then the Amalekites and the Canaanites who dwelt in that mountain came down and attacked them, and drove them back as far as Hormah.
- Judges 3:7-11 READ Shows this cycle- live for the Lord- experience his best. Don’t you wont.
- Israel went through a lot of war in the OT- and most of the battles they won they walked with God- and those they lost- they didn’t They lived in a cycle of war and had civil wars as well.
- Won- 40 Lost- 18 Cycle- 8 Civil- 8
- And in this story- David is blessed by God v6 The Lord preserved (gave victory) wherever he went.
- God Blessed the work of David’s hands-v 1-6
- because he was faithful to God- he was submitted and committed to him and Israel
- About King Hezikiah- 2 Chronicles 31:21 And in every work that he began in the service of the house of God, in the law and in the commandment, to seek his God, he did it with all his heart. So he prospered.
- What does it mean to you?
- We don’t go and kill and fight in armies, but we can experience the blessings of God in this life, as we submit to his Lordship- we will experience victory
- Yes- the scriptures speak of suffering- calamity. You will not live an unscathed life
- But why would you want to walk through calamity without the LORD? No way!
- Psalm 34:19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the Lord delivers him out of them all.
- But the scriptures promise blessings and victory over the child of God who walks according to the scriptures- You will eat the good of the land, blessed are you, pray blessings etc.
- None of you have ever asked me to pray that you would experience more pain and suffering
- Notice the name on the sign- Faith and VICTORY- I believe God wants you to be victorious!
- It may not be what you look at for Victory- but It’s a God type of Victory-
- God promises protection- 2 Thessalonians 3:3 But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you and guard you from the evil one.
- Psa 20:1 May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble; May the name of the God of Jacob defend you;
- I’ve seen it in my own life- walk with God- life is good. Take it into my own hands. Not so good.
- 1 John 5:4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.
- You wont be fighting invading armies- you’ll be fighting evil forces and the world- but with JESUS- you’ll experience the VICTORY
- 1 Cor 15:57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
- David’s response
David’s response to God’s provision and protection is that he brought the spoils to Jerusalem and dedicated them to the Lord-
His response-v 7-12 V7 Brought them to Jerusalem V11 Dedicated them to the Lord
Here’s what David knew- It was THE LORD who had did it- Not him.
- Psa 20:6-7 Now I know that the Lord saves His anointed; He will answer him from His holy heaven With the saving strength of His right hand. 7 Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; but we will remember the name of the Lord our God.
- David experienced victory as the king of Israel but he never forgot WHO had done it!
- It was the LORD through him- it wasn’t by his own power at all. It was through HIM
- Psa 41: 11 By this I know that You are well pleased with me, Because my enemy does not triumph over me.
- Psa 34:7-8 The angel of the Lord encamps all around those who fear Him, And delivers them. 8 Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!
- David knew it was God who did it and his natural response was to praise him for his provision
- He wrote a ton of psalms- not just so he’d make it into the book!
- You might meet him in heaven and think he’s impressed- he’d probably be nonchalant about it because it wasn’t even why he did it- it was because of his love for the LORD
- Deuteronomy 20:4 for the Lord your God is He who goes with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.’
- What does it mean to you
- When you experience victory in your life- who gets the glory? Is it a false humility or a true humility of who did what for who. Do you dedicate it to the Lord, or yourself? Who is it for?
- If you live in America you won the lottery. It’s the greatest nation on earth. Some of you may have immigrated- but for those of us who were born here- we didn’t decide that- just happened
- IF you have a skill, a friend, a spouse, a job, a nice meal, a great church, to whom do you glorify?
- My son theory- the great qbs always take responsibility for the loss- one guy “it was me”
- Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.
- Be strong IN THE LORD– We’re never asked to do it on our own strength, so when we see God show up- we need to remind ourselves and others that it is THE LORD who does it
- Ephesians 1:19 and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power
- He uses us- but its HIM who does it-
- 2 Chronicles 20:17 You will not need to fight in this battle. Position yourselves, stand still and see the salvation of the Lord, who is with you, O Judah and Jerusalem!’ Do not fear or be dismayed; tomorrow go out against them, for the Lord is with you.”
- Do you know why people don’t want the Lord to receive the recognition? Because we are addiction to attention and accolades in this world. We want the praise of men. We want to be better than someone. Bigger, faster, stronger. We go into debt to impress people we don’t know
- Give God the Glory! You’re just blessed to be alive! Give it all to HIM recognize HIM
- What was David’s lifestyle after this
- I think whats hard for people is living life. It can be overwhelming, boring, or mundane. You’re going to go through good and bad times. Ups and downs. You’re going to see victory and defeat
- In this instance- David is coming off a string of victories. Its interesting to see how he lives
- V13 made a name for himself – Natural by-product of having victory- people notice
- But here’s a nugget I love-V14 put garrisons (protection) around. Once David experienced Victory- he did the wise thing and set up some controls in his kingdom to ensure his long term status- A standing army that would protect the interests of the King
- A garrison- a place with a fortified base to defend a town or area.
- God delivered him- He gave the Lord the glory- but he didn’t sit around and party- he made a strategic decision to set up garrisons to ensure the long term success of what God had done.
- He did work- He didn’t rest on his laurels Again- “The Lord preserved David” v14
- It was all the Lord- But you can read His lifestyle- v 13-18
- V15 Reigned over all Israel and administered judgment and justice
- He took the role of King as serious and did the work that a king should be doing- not just sitting around- he enlists his sons in the ministry V18 continued the ministry
- Set up protections, administered justice, continued in the ministry
- Great lifestyle for a king to live under the victories that God provided- but it was WORK
- Proverbs 12:11 He who tills his land will be satisfied with bread, But he who follows frivolity is devoid of understanding.
- Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going.
- What does it mean to you?
- Do you just want God to bless you so you have to do less, or so you can be freed to do more?
- There is no retirement from serving the Lord. There is never a time when you’ve done enough.
- Luke 9:62 But Jesus said to him, “No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.”
- We are called to be WORKERS for the Lord Jesus Christ- He set us free from works, to do work
- Matt 28– Therefore GO- MAKE disciples teaching them to OBEY
- The lifestyle of the redeemed is one where we diligently work for the Lord-
gym- I know people who go to the gym for “me time” headphones- We end up praying for peeps
- Colossians 3:23 And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men,
- Ephesians 6:6-7 not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as bondservants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, 7 with goodwill doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men,
- David’s response was to do unto the Lord- when we have victory- we should as well.
For more sermons please visit our SERMONS PAGE
Please subscribe to our YOUTUBE PAGE