Conjoined (Romans 8:31-39) *Verses in NKJV*
– There are about 4 million babies born per year in the U.S.
– About 300,000 are identical twins, about 25% of those are “mirror image” twins like Dan and me.
– Example: Twins are rare. My birth story, according to my mom…
– Our older brother was a big baby, so Mom’s weight gain and size was similar to before. Our heart beats we in sync, and the doc could only feel one head and one set of feet (mine, because I was on top). 47 years ago… ultrasounds were not widely used back then. There was no reason to expect twins.
– Twins are usually side-by-side, but I was wrapped around Dan in the womb, hiding him. It wasn’t until 10 days before the birth that anyone found out my mom was having twins.
– Dan would have been the first born naturally, but we were C-section, so I was born first. The doctor said, “what a big baby!” then pulled Dan out and said, “wow, an even bigger baby!” I stole his birthright! My parents had decided to name the first born after our grandfathers, Jason and William, and because that ended up being me, I got those names instead of Dan!
– During the x-ray and not knowing yet it was twins, while lying on the table it appeared as if the baby had 2 heads and 4 arms, which noticeably freaked out the x-ray tech. He sat my mom up and tried again, and that’s when he realized we were actually separate twins.
* It looked like my mom was having conjoined twins!
– Conjoined twins are Extremely rare (Fewer than 1,000 cases per year in U.S.)
– Krista and Tatiana Hogan are 15 years old and live in Canada. Like other conjoined twins, they have defied great odds to make it this far. The Hogan twins are joined at the head and their brains are connected by a thalamic bridge. The most fascinating thing about their condition is that they can see out of each other’s eyes, and they say that they can “hear” each other’s thoughts.
– Abigail and Brittany Hensel are 31 years old and live in Minnesota. They are one of the rarest conjoined twins, because they share a torso but have two heads side by side. Like any other twins, they each have their own personalities. Both of them graduated from college with a teaching degree, and today work are 5th grade teachers.
– Like these four girls, often conjoined twins cannot be separated, because they share the vital things needed for life inside them. One cannot live without the other.
– In a spiritual way, as Christians, we are conjoined to Christ. The same Holy Spirit that gave Jesus life, gives us life. It you tried to separate us, we would die a spiritual death.
– The good news is that NOTHING can separate us from the love of God through Jesus Christ!
– Read Romans 8:31-39
#1. There is NO earthly thing that can defeat the Holy Spirit inside you.
– What is Paul referring to when he says, “What shall we say to these things?”
– In Romans chapter 8, Paul is encouraging the believers to walk in spirit and not in the flesh. That means to live according to the scriptures, listen to the Holy Spirit in your life, do not give in to sin.
– “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.” Only if the spirit of God lives in you, will you have life. We are adopted in as God’s children.
– The suffering, and drama, and earthly power around you, cannot compare or compete with the power, and grace, and amazing glory that will be reveled through Jesus, IN us, and THROUGH us!
– In light of all this, the Apostle Paul proclaims, “If God is for us, who can be against us?”
– Example: 1992, the “Dream Team”, first time pros could play in the Olympics, and they destroyed everyone. No one even had a chance. (Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, Clyde Drexler, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Carl Malone, John Stockton, Scottie Pippin, Chris Mullin, Christian Laettner…. There was a “Christian” on the team!)
– Isaiah 41:10, Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’
– You may feel like “sheep led to the slaughter, all day long,” in this life, but you must draw your strength from the Lord, because the Spirit of God that raised Jesus from the dead lives inside of you!
– The power of God is so great, there is nothing in the world that can stand against it!
– Your mind and heart should be focused on the Goodness of God, not on your own problems.
– Eph. 3:16-17b, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, 17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith;
#2. You are conjoined with Christ.
– Romans 8:35-39, Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written: “For Your sake we are killed all day long; We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.” 37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
– We are stuck together like conjoined twins with Jesus. You try to separate us, and we will die.
– Apart from Jesus we would be dead in our sin and transgressions.
– We are God’s sons through Jesus, but only if we are connected to Jesus.
– There is so much around us that we cannot control, and it can become overwhelming!
– Even still, we are MORE than overcomers, because Christ has loved us! No trouble is too big!
– All of the things on Paul’s list are really big, but are you letting small things separate you?
– Sometimes it is the small things that threaten to separate us from Jesus. *The things that only have the power because you are giving it to them.
– The thoughts you dwell on, the choices you make with your time, all the small decisions in the day.
– It may not be trials and trouble. It may be comfort and convenience.
– Phil. 4:6-7, Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
– Isaiah 26:3, You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.
– We can be really good at putting the giant, uncontrollable things in God’s hands, but struggle with the small, seemingly manageable things, that distract us from our Savior.
– Like those twins who are connected by their brain, we need to share the mind of Christ! Hear His thoughts and see the world through His eyes.
– Like a conjoined twin, your body is not your own. You share it with the Holy Spirit.
– 2 Cor. 6:16, And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: “I will dwell in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they shall be My people.”
– 1 Cor. 6:19, Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?
– Example: Conjoined twin suing the other in court, to stop them from marring the other twin’s ex-husband. They can’t be physically separated, but this would emotionally separate/destroy them.
– They can’t just “make a decision” to please themselves without considering the other.
*YOU can’t marry the world without considering who YOU share a body with!
– Romans 8:10-11, And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
#3. Christ died so that you could be saved. No one can ever take that away from you!
– Verse 34b, It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.
– Verse 32, He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?
– Nothing can separate you from God’s everlasting love through Jesus Christ.
– You are conjoined with the Holy Spirit, the same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead.
– But first, you must be a believer in Jesus. That is what God’s love through Jesus was all about.
– John 3:16-17, For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
– Consider the power of the gospel of salvation through Jesus!
– “If God is for us, who can be against us?” “Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.” Nothing can ever “separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
– These are words for the believer! You need to give your life to Jesus today, to find assurance in these words!
– Eph. 2:8, For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
– Alter call – – prayer –
Romans 8:31-39, What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? 33 Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written: “For Your sake we are killed all day long; We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.” 37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
For more sermons please visit our SERMON PAGE
Please subscribe to our YOUTUBE PAGE