BEFORE DESTRUCTION 1 Sam 27-1 sam 28:1-2 There has been times in my life where I have mad bad decisions- and the things that went bad were embarrassing. I always wondered how I got there- and how to not go back to them- How to not have any regrets- prevent bad decisions
- Things that went bad for David Went to the enemy- v 2 to Acish King of Gath (of the philistines), Dwelt with the enemy- V3 so david dwelt, Brought others with him- six hundred men, his two wives, Made a deal with the enemy and God Ziklag v5, Went and raided towns v8 Geshurites, Girzites, Amalekites, Killed all the men women and took their livestock, Lied To achish- v10 Against the southern area of Judah, Telling the enemy that he was attacking his own people?, Tells Achish he’s his servant 1 sam 28:1, Joins with the Enemy to fight Israel 1-2
Where did it all Go wrong? What could David had done BEFORE DESTRUCTION READ V 27
- He internalized destruction
- The Heart is the core of our being its importance can’t be understated
- And David “said in his heart” He spoke to himself- thought it- believed it- internalized it
- And spoke some pretty bad stuff to himself we’ll get into in a moment- but lets just focus on the heart part to start- He didn’t say it to God- others- Outloud- Just himself- (heart and mind)
- Disclaimer- Don’t get twisted- We’re not talking self esteem self talk here- we’re talking Bible-
- David was speaking a certain kind of way to himself and its important to note? Why? THE HEART IS VITALLY IMPORTANT TO A BELIEVER IN JESUS CHRIST- The Bible SAYS-
- Proverbs 4:23 keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life.
- Romans 10:10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
- Mark 7:21-23 READ For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts etc
- The HEART is vitally important- what David was doing was creating a situation where what he was speaking to his heart was going to create destruction
- All of this bad stuff has a starting point- and the starting point was when he started speaking to himself a certain kind of way- destruction. Lies. Despair. Negativity. Bad stuff all around
- To his heart- what did it do? Produce bad actions in his life because he didn’t guard his heart
- Story of a young man who didn’t keep his heart- His dad told him to listen to him, that if he did, it would keep him from sin. There was a female who wanted his son in a bad way. How did the dad know this? In their town- he had saw other men who had been destroyed by this woman- she sexually seduced men all time- but many a man had fallen prey because guys didn’t realize what was going on- She used her speech, her sexuality to destroy men. The father said to his son: READ Proverbs 7:24-25 v25 “Do not let your heart turn”
- Guarding of the heart is SO SO important to keep you from DESTRUCTION
- Its where it STARTS- Thoughts turn into desires, that turn into actions!
- What does it mean to you?
- GUARD YOUR HEART! What you put in it, speak to it, think about it affects your spiritual life!
- Been a principle of God for a long time- Dt 4:9 Only take heed to yourself, and diligently keep yourself, lest you forget the things your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. And teach them to your children and your grandchildren,
- This takes practice and focus! YOU choose what you dwell on, think on, focus on, speak on
- Phil 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.
- I heard a story of a guy who had something that the Lord had told him to sell and give all the money to help spread the Gospel. He listened- sold, but in the end, kept some for himself. I think he sold it for more than he expected- what happened? HE DIED. Right after the close.
- Peter called this guy out in Acts 5. It started in his HEART Acts 5:4 While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”
- Don’t underestimate your heart. What you think about will manifest in your life. It will.
- Jesus knew it- Mt 9:4 But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, “Why do you think evil in your hearts?
Lk 9:47 And Jesus, perceiving the thought of their heart, took a little child and set him by Him,
- REMEMBER- Mark 7:21-23 READ For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts etc
- Guard your heart! What what you think in there! Diet-bad=bad good=good
- Think Good things about God- Don’t Think BAD think GOOD things about Jesus!
What Were the inputs of David’s heart?
- One- he Forgot God’s promises “Now I shall perish someday by the hand of Saul”
- What happened? Did he forget what 1 sam 16:12-13? Forgot that happened?
- Forgot 1 sam 25 Abigail encourages him! V 30 And it shall come to pass, when the Lord has done for my lord according to all the good that He has spoken concerning you, and has appointed you ruler over Israel,
- Quickly forgets these promises- “Saul gonna kill me one day” I’m finished- this is the end
- HE JUST HAD VICTORY– SAUL JUST TOLD HIM- 1 sam 26:21 Then Saul said, “I have sinned. Return, my son David. For I will harm you no more AND THEN HE FORGETS
- The preaching didn’t make it past the parking lot- He heard it and forgot it.
- Two- He Took up with the enemy “There is nothing better for me than I should escape”
- David went to the idol worshipping Philistines- “nothing better for me” with Israel?
- Israel was God’s people! But he deserts God’s people and goes to the enemy instead!
- God doesn’t like it when his people love other things than him
- Hosea 3:1 Then the Lord said to me, “Go again, love a woman who is loved by a lover and is committing adultery, just like the love of the Lord for the children of Israel, who look to other gods and love the raisin cakes of the pagans.”
- Jeremiah 3:20 Surely, as a wife treacherously departs from her husband, So have you dealt treacherously with Me, O house of Israel,” says the Lord.
- 1 Corinthians 10:21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the Lord’s table and of the table of demons.
- Three- Told himself Lies “Saul will despair of me”
- Its not Saul who will despair- David is the one in Despair- he’s the one who has lost his way- not Saul, but now he’s telling himself something to justify his own actions-
- But Saul isn’t there at all. Saul Told David he’d leave him alone, but the despair, going with the enemy- has now produced lies- Telling himself stuff not true- Thoughts, lies. Half-truths
- Romans 1:25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
- But this is what the despaired mind, that has gone with the enemy does- It makes stuff up in its mind that it believes to be true-
- Many Christian falls into this- they believe lies that aren’t true- Church hates me, pastor hates me, every hates me. No one hates you! You fell into despair, forgot the promises, and went with the enemy- and now LIES are in your head because you’ve separated yourself from GOD
- This is the point where you stop DESTRUCTION BEFORE it HAPPENS- You FILL YOU HEART
- How many of us have ended up in destruction looked back and thought how did I get here?
- Here’s what you can do to stop destruction BEFORE it comes. To fill YOUR HEART NOW
So What do we do?
- BEFORE Destruction- Focus on God’s promises! FILL YOUR HEART WITH THESE
1. God will be FAITHFUL to me (Exodus 34:6-7) Merciful and gracious, abounding in love
2. God will SAVE me (Galatians 2:20). Not a slave to sin, crucified w Christ
3. God will be WITH me (Romans 8:9-15). Spirit raised Christ in YOU
4. God will CONTROL it and make it right (Psalm 47:7-8). He reigns over nations! On the Throne!
5. God will FORGIVE me (1 John 1:9). Confess and receive forgivenss
6. God will WORK it to GOOD for me(Romans 8:28).God works all together for GOOD
7. God will PREPARE a PLACE for me (John 14:3) You’re going to HEAVEN
8 God will REBUKE the DEVIL for me (Malachi 3) He’s protecting you
The INPUTS of your HEART will either bring LIFE or DESTRUCTION- GUARD YOUR HEART
- Before Destruction- Don’t fall into Despair- It comes right after victory
- Matt 13:5 talks about the seed that fell on stony ground and the devil came and snatched it up
- This is what happens right after you hear a great word, or experience a great move of God
- Satan comes IMMEDIATELY- to take it away- Notice despair and ATTACK IT- don’t cultivate it
- David just had a great victory- Saul stopped chasing him- Things stopped going wrong-DESPAIR
- The worst days for me are Sunday afternoon and Mondays- Right after retreats etc.
- BEFORE Destruction! Don’t take up with the enemy! Nothing good there!
- Do not agree with, get involved with, or make friends with the enemies of God
- Have nothing to do with them! Separate yourself from those who aren’t following God
- 2 Thessalonians 3:14 And if anyone does not obey our word in this epistle, note that person and do not keep company with him, that he may be ashamed.
- Not saying you shouldn’t minister to them- or evangelize them- but don’t be FRIENDS w them
- James 4:4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
- BEFORE Destruction- Don’t tell yourself lies- Tell yourself the truth!
- God didn’t do it to you, you did it to yourself. Your decisions affect your outputs
- Don’t justify your sin, your actions, your intent- I need a savior- be honest!!!
- BUT The truth is that GOD can save you! Jesus WILL forgive you!
- Living for Jesus is the BEST life- and there’s nothing that can stop a child of GOD!
You can find more sermons on our SERMON PAGE
You can be notified when we go live subscribing to our YOUTUBE CHANNEL