Developing Spiritual Senses
- 2Ki 6:11 NKJV – Therefore the heart of the king of Syria was greatly troubled by this thing; and he called his servants and said to them, “Will you not show me which of us [is] for the king of Israel?”
- 2Ki 6:12 NKJV – And one of his servants said, “None, my lord, O king; but Elisha, the prophet who [is] in Israel, tells the king of Israel the words that you speak in your bedroom.”
- 2Ki 6:13 NKJV – So he said, “Go and see where he [is], that I may send and get him.” And it was told him, saying, “Surely [he is] in Dothan.”
- 2Ki 6:14 NKJV – Therefore he sent horses and chariots and a great army there, and they came by night and surrounded the city.
- 2Ki 6:15 NKJV – And when the servant of the man of God arose early and went out, there was an army, surrounding the city with horses and chariots. And his servant said to him, “Alas, my master! What shall we do?”
- 2Ki 6:16 NKJV – So he answered, “Do not fear, for those who [are] with us [are] more than those who [are] with them.”
- 2Ki 6:17 NKJV – And Elisha prayed, and said, “LORD, I pray, open his eyes that he may see.” Then the LORD opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw. And behold, the mountain [was] full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.
- 2Ki 6:18 NKJV – So when [the Syrians] came down to him, Elisha prayed to the LORD, and said, “Strike this people, I pray, with blindness.” And He struck them with blindness according to the word of Elisha.
If you believe in Jesus then there are certain things that you will have to accept and face that may be difficult depending on worldview that you have previously held.
Western civilization over the years has become less and less sophisticated in regard to understanding spiritual matters.
This comes from the anti-supernatural bias that our society has largely adopted. Our focus has shifted from the spiritual to the natural
What’s interesting is that when we examine our civilization we see ourselves as very clever and advanced for rejecting all the ancient superstitions
But according to God, you can’t get any more stupid than Atheism. Atheism is actually base-line stupid. There is no greater delusion
- Psalm 14:1 The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.”
- I saw a great bumper sticker btw it read “National Atheist’s Day: April 1st The fool hath said in his heart there is no God.”
- Psalm 10:4 NKJV – The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God; God is in none of his thoughts.
- Psa 74:22 ESV – Arise, O God, defend your cause; remember how the foolish scoff at you all the day! (mocking with unbelief)
The savage, stone age tribe living in Papua New Guinea that believes they need to appease animal spirits to prevent calamity is closer to the truth than Atheism
Why? Because they at least acknowledge that the spiritual exists, they are aware that there are supernatural powers at play that exert influence on the world
Now I am not saying that that the various religions of the world are not lies. They are! They are doctrines of demons.
The Devil has a plethora of lies some of which are more intricate and sophisticated than others
Western Civilization has just bought into the least sophisticated lie the enemy has to offer
In other countries the devil isn’t busy trying to convince them that the supernatural doesn’t exist because those societies take for granted that the supernatural does exist
Instead he often tries to deceive them within this framework through false revelation or miracles
Ex. Fortune teller in Indonesia Story
Like I said the enemy has crafted different lies for each situation
And We would be foolish to think that the skepticism of our age hasn’t polluted our thinking on some level
That brings me to the reason that this message is on my heart…
many of us have been unable to combat the machinations of the devil in our lives because we have been too busy ignoring the reality of his presence
we have placed blinders on our eyes and it is time to remove them because the enemy is taking advantage of those blind spots
So how do we develop our spiritual senses?
I think there are a variety of ways such as prayer, like deep prayer that goes beyond simple petition, and fasting but more foundational those are two things
1st We have to learn what God has revealed about the unseen world
2nd we have to have believe that what he says
There is a spiritual world
- [Col 1:16 NKJV] 16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.
- He speaks here as if there were several orders of angels: Whether thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers, which must signify either different degrees of excellence or different offices and employments. Angels, authorities, and powers, – Matthew Henry
- Eph 6:12 NKJV – For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual [hosts] of wickedness in the heavenly [places].
- Gurumaa Story
There is a great spiritual conflict
- Rev 12:7-9 NKJV – 9 And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, 8 but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. 9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
- “Christianity agrees with dualism that this universe is at war. But it does not think this is a war between independent powers. It thinks it is a civil war, a rebellion, and that we are living in a part of the universe occupied by the rebel. Enemy-occupied territory – that is what this world is.
- If you are outside Christ then you have not sworn fealty to your rightful king and that means you are on the side of him who refuses to submit to the most high
- Charles Spurgeon said “Surely no rebel can expect the King to pardon his treason while he remains in open revolt.”
That world exerts influence on this world
- That influence is greater than we tend to think
- [1Jo 5:19 NKJV] 19 We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies [under the sway of] the wicked one.
- Jhn 14:30 NKJV – “I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming, and he has nothing in Me.
- Eph 2:1-2 NKJV – And you [He made alive], who were dead in trespasses and sins, 2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience,
- There are demonic rulers pulling the strings of modern day nations
- What is happening on earth is tied to conflicts in the heavenly realms
- Dan 10:12-20 NKJV – Then he said to me, “Do not fear, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart to understand, and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard; and I have come because of your words. 13″But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days; and behold, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I had been left alone there with the kings of Persia.
- There are spiritual forces of darkness at work in our own nation
- The vast majority of porn comes from our nation
- Abortion has claimed the lives of over 50 million babies
- Think of the messages of Holly Wood movies
- Many world events have been orchestrated by spiritual powers
- Our spiritual enemy is attempting with varying degrees of success to exert influence over us
- 1Pe 5:8 NKJV – Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.
- Eph 4:27 NKJV – nor give place to the devil.
- Tormenting thoughts story
This matters because…
There are forces arrayed against us and like any army they are attempting to hold territory in our lives that we wish to take
But if we don’t acknowledge that they are there how can we even begin to stand against them
Sometimes the reason there is no give in your life is because the enemy has you chasing your own tail instead of fighting him
You’re busy fighting the flesh and your own sinful tendencies but we have another enemy that is trying to flank us
Victory is possible
- [Jas 4:7-8 NKJV] 7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
- [2Co 10:3-5 NKJV] 3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare [are] not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,
So how do we stand against the Devil and what are the weapons of our warfare?
- By recognizing when he is tempting us and saying no
- invoking the name of Jesus
- 41 “Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed [is] willing, but the flesh [is] weak.” – Mat 26:41 NKJV
- 13 And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen. – Mat 6:13 NKJV
Eph 6:10 NKJV – Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.
- 47 “Then all this assembly shall know that the LORD does not save with sword and spear; for the battle [is] the LORD’s, and He will give you into our hands.” – 1Sa 17:47 NKJV
- 15 And he said, “Listen, all you of Judah and you inhabitants of Jerusalem, and you, King Jehoshaphat! Thus says the LORD to you: ‘Do not be afraid nor dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle [is] not yours, but God’s. – 2Ch 20:15 NKJV
Eph 6:11 NKJV – Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
Eph 6:12 NKJV – For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual [hosts] of wickedness in the heavenly [places].
Eph 6:13 NKJV – Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Eph 6:14 NKJV – Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
- 17 The path of the virtuous leads away from evil; whoever follows that path is safe. – Pro 16:17 NLT
Eph 6:15 NKJV – and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
Eph 6:16 NKJV – above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.
- 1Jo 5:4-5 NKJV] 4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world–our faith. 5 Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
Eph 6:17 NKJV – And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;
- 12 For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires. – Heb 4:12 NLT
Eph 6:18 NKJV – praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints–