Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | RSS | More
Do you believe?
*Paul is in Jail
* Paul’s nephew hears about the assassination plot between the assassins and the Chief priest
* The assassins take an oath not to eat until they kill Paul – Serious business
* Nephew tell Paul, Paul tell the centurion, Centurion takes Paul’s nephew to the commander
* Commander set things in motion for 200-foot soldiers, 70 horse man and 200 spearmen to take Paul to the governor
*He sends a letter with Paul and asks for him to get a horse to mount on
* Paul is taken to governor and he puts Paul under his guard and protection
“Acts 23:11 – But the following night the Lord stood by him and said, [a]“Be of good cheer, Paul; for as you have testified for Me in Jerusalem, so you must also bear witness at Rome”
- The word that God uses is MUST – Its not a suggestion.
- God promises are Yes and Amen – God told Paul he would testify in Rome
- God’s plans will prevail. Stop doing His work
- Stop helping God,
- The story of Abraham with Isaac and Ishmael
- Saul sacrificed to the Lord instead of waiting for Samuel
James 5:7-8 Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, waiting patiently for it until it receives the early and latter rain. 8 You also be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord [a]is at hand
- God is not a liar, His word is true
- Spoke to Paul and said, you will testify in Rome …. you will not die under the 40 assassins
- Gods plans are different, higher than our ways
- He uses a boy – a young man to initiate a powerful response to the devil’s plan
- God’s plans are GOD’s Plan…not human plans
Isaiah 55:8-9 For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord.9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts.
- God’s plans will always trump the enemy’s plot
- The enemy had a plot, got the best of the best – they would kill even on an empty stomach…
- But God had said it – You MUST also bear witness in Rome
- Yet, Gods ways are mighty “He uses a small boy to frustrate these great plan” “ He uses the weak to shame the strong!
Luke 24:6-7 He is not here, but is risen! Remember how He spoke to you when He was still in Galilee, 7 saying, ‘The Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.’ ”
- The enemy created hatred, lies, deception and fear – thought that it was over for Jesus; only to find out that “what was meant for evil God turned it all round and it became the greatest win for Christians, He is Alive -greatest sign of Grace and overcoming
- Do you believe what He has promised will come to be?
- I love how God works. Of all the people He could have used, he uses a little boy to set everything in motion
- The kingdom of God is for those who are like kids in their hearts
- There is danger, kids report, no qualifying- just do it
- He heard, and went and told Paul
- The real question is – are you trust worthy? Can God use you in such a situation? Or are you:
- Self-serving – having concern for one’s own welfare and interests before those of others
- Self-promoting – (Acts 23:22) – So the commander let the young man depart, and commanded him, “Tell no one that you have revealed these things to me.
Can you be trusted to stay quiet or are you always wanting to be the news originator – Sometime its life and death
- Self-preservation – Do you care only about your safety – This young man, put himself in Danger… yet he did the right thing.
- Fear – Will fear stop you from being used by God?
- Can you be trusted to be a servant of God?
- Do you believe that He is able to use you?
Acts 23: 16-18 So when Paul’s sister’s son heard of their ambush, he went and entered the barracks and told Paul. Then Paul called one of the centurions to him and said, “Take this young man to the commander, for he has something to tell him.” So he took him and brought him to the commander and said, “Paul the prisoner called me to him and asked me to bring this young man to you. He has something to say to you.”
Acts 23: 19 Then the commander took him by the hand, went aside, and asked privately, “What is it that you have to tell me?”
- These are all action words – They all acted immediately, with urgency
Acts 23:23 And he called for two centurions, saying, “Prepare two hundred soldiers, seventy horsemen, and two hundred spearmen to go to Caesarea at the third hour of the night;
- 9pm at night, he gathered the army, wrote a letter and sent Paul away
- What would have happened if the little boy would have waited until the following morning
- Has there been anytime in our lives, that God asks us to do, say or go …and our response is different from Yes Lord, here I am?
- Do you have the urgency to do the things of God?
- Things that are important to God are IMPORTANT to God
John 9:4 – I must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; the night is coming when no one can work.
Matthew 24:42-44 – Watch therefore, for you do not know what [a]hour your Lord is coming. 43 But know this, that if the master of the house had known what [b]hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. 44 Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect. – (Kobe Story)
Do you believe that Time is Short?
- Do you believe?
- We have these ideas in our mind how things are going to be “ Dismiss your ideas” and let God do what He does best….Fight and overcome for you
- God’s response is not small – its not what you and I think it will be- Its 470 soldiers!
- Don’t fight for yourself God will. I am sure you don’t have 470 dudes to fight for you.
- To make things even better, Paul ( a prisoner) who was almost killed by the people, is mounted on horse as well- Say what? He has an army of 200 soldiers and 200 spear man, they walked!!! And Paul rode
- A child of God, who does the will of God will inherit the promises
Deuteronomy 31:6 (Moses Spoke) Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
- When God set something in motion, there is nothing that can stop it
- We have to trust in God’s timing
- Not a moment sooner or later, His promises will come to be
- Let us trust God to fight for us, the battle is of God, it belongs to Him, and at the end, you and I will end up in a place where you never thought you would be because God is able
- When you let God, He will have others defending you
- Let others defend you! – The letter to the governor
Acts 23:29 I found out that he was accused concerning questions of their law, but had nothing charged against him deserving of death or chains. 30 And when it was told me that [c]the Jews lay in wait for the man, I sent him immediately to you, and also commanded his accusers to state before you the charges against him.
Psalm 91:14-16 – Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will [a]set him on high, because he has known My name. 15 He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him. 16 With [b]long life I will satisfy him, And show him My salvation.
- ”And he commanded him to be kept in Herod’s judgment hall; or palace: this was a place built by Herod the great at Caesarea, of whose magnificent buildings here Josephus gives a large account. For besides the famous haven or port which he made here, he adorned the place with splendid palaces, he built a theatre, and an amphitheatre, and a “forum”, in a part of which, or in a place adjoining to it, the apostle was put. Here he was kept by a guard of soldiers, but not in close confinement; he had much liberty, and his friends and acquaintance had leave to come to him; see
- Do you believe?