Exodus 11:1-10 Exodus 12:29-30 death from above
- Many a person has said “well at least I didn’t kill anyone” which is to say, that’s about the worst thing that a person can do. And maybe it is, death is so final. It’s the ultimate punishment
- Today God kills all the first born of Egypt as a last ditch effort to get compliance.
1. The plague
- The plague is the killing of the first born–4 Then Moses said, “Thus says the Lord: ‘About midnight I will go out into the midst of Egypt; 5 and all the firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the firstborn of Pharaoh who sits on his throne, even to the firstborn of the female servant who is behind the handmill, and all the firstborn of the animals. Very simply, in this plague, the first born of the Pharoah, Everyone else, and the animals will be killed.
2. The False god
- is Pharoah himself is the false god. All the other gods were gods who were dead and worshipped, but this god is alive. It is the Pharoah.
- From Wiki- the Egyptians viewed royal authority itself as a divine force.
- The Egyptians recognized that the pharaoh was human and subject to human weakness, they simultaneously viewed him as a god, bc the divine power of kingship was incarnated in him.
- He therefore acted as intermediary between Egypt’s people and the gods.
- He was worshipped and followed. He was the supreme leader and living deity.
3. The Commandment
- Exodus 20:17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”
- Covetousness is connected to idolatry- Worshipping something other than God.
- The first commandment is “no other gods before me” and God goes through 8 other commandments that all connect back to the one main point- You shall love the Lord your God with all of your heart, mind and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself
- Making a carved image is idolatry, so is, taking his name in vain, not taking a sabbath, honoring your parents, murdering, adultery, stealing, bearing false witness, and coveting.
- All of them point back to- You have something else other than me as your God. Your desires, your wants, your faith, you take matters into your own hands for your wants and needs instead of coming to me. You are satisfying yourself elsewhere and not with me.
- I want you to desire me only, worship me only, trust me, want me, nothing else before ME
- (This is what I’m always talking about that frustrates people that want more than God)
- Colossians 3:5 Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
- The Scriptures associate greediness with such gross sins as adultery, fornication, and idolatry?
- Because of its seriousness. It is an extreme form of selfishness. It is an intense, passionate desire or craving either to gain far more than what is reasonable or needed or to gain that which rightfully belongs to another. It is idolatry, for what one greedily desires he worships.
- Coveting is wanting, desiring, working after, not being satisfied with what YOU have and what God has given YOU. It’s a dissatisfied spirit that is always longing for MORE. (new revelation)
- Luke 12:15 And He said to them, “Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.”
- This is- I wish I had different parents and upbringing, I looked different, different skills, giftings, vehicle, living situation, body, voice, spouse, kids, job, possessions, dif church, pastor, word etc.
- Blaming God while simultaneously not walking in his precepts and accepting what he does as not enough. Looking past the blessings that he has given you! NEVER SATISFIED IN HIM
- Be honest! I wasted away my life in selfish living and now I’m suffering the consequences.
- I have made life decisions that limit what I am able to do at this stage in my life. OWN IT.
- I waste my time on things that don’t improve the things in my life that I know need to change.
- But covetousness is a triple whammy- You are an idolater, you hurt relationships, and you aren’t satisfied. You can’t really enjoy what you do have bc you are not satisfied in HIM.
- Hebrews 13:5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
- Eph 3:5 says covetousness shouldn’t even be named among us as the saint of God!
4. The connection
- My future is only secure if I have what that person has. I must take matters into my own hands to secure my future. God providing for me isn’t enough. What I have isn’t enough
- The pharoah enslaved the Hebrews to secure his future as a pharoah and a superpower in the region. He wanted more political and military influence in now and afterlife (big thing to Egypt)
- So God goes directly to the heart of what Pharoah desires- a lasting dynasty and legacy- I’ll kill your first born because you refuse to let my people Go.
- I will take the most drastic measures possible to limit your earthly legacy through death.
- There will be, no other gods before me. Not you, not anyone. I will show you.
- You break the 10th, in that you desire what someone else has. Their agency. Their life.
- A man lives and only gets his life, its his only true possession, and you took it from him
- Your covetousness has reached the height in that you enslave a man’s agency and life.
- Therefore- I am going to destroy the agency of your offspring and everyone else.
5. The application
- The simple application is “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”
- Do not seek to acquire or desire anything that does not belong to you. In action or heart.
- This means don’t take it, but also don’t even think about taking it. Don’t ruminate on it, have emotions about it. Treat people differently because of it. Have a bad attitude about it. NADA.
- Covetousness is serious business. It’s not something to be played with. Eradicate it!
- Ephesians 5:5 For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. 1 cor 6:10 as well!
- This is something we should be on guard against and typically its only YOU that knows that you’re dealing with it, no one else, unless your face tells the story. Learn to work on it!
- I’ve been jealous of people! Why not me? When God when. Why God why?
- I’ve looked at what people had, or did, or what I didn’t have in my life. I’m not immune
- What I’ve learned is that genuinely rejoicing with other people’s wins helps fight it
- Watch yourself on SM. It can spiral into a frenzy of covetousness. Bless people!!
- 1 Tim 6:6-10 Now godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. (Have you ever had to be around a discontented person?)
- What does it really take to make you content? How much do you actually need?
- I remember when I got back from deployment, sitting on van couch. We were happy!
- If you don’t learn to be satisfied with what you have, nothing will ever be enough.
- Here’s a Gospel truth-
- Proverbs 15:16 Better is a little with the fear of the Lord, Than great treasure with trouble.
- You don’t need as much as you think. You just don’t. Jesus, Church, Relationships, Health.
6. How to fix
- One- You have to take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ. You get involved.
- When those things rear up, take control of your mind and make it think on something else.
- I’ve been doing these ice baths since April. You cant think of anything else but cold.
- You be transformed by the renewing of your mind. You learn to think differently
- Over time, your mind doesn’t go to the gutter as easily. You learn you control your thoughts.
- Two- You pray for the Lord to change your heart and desires!
- Psalm 119:36-37 Incline my heart to Your testimonies, And not to covetousness.
- 37 Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things,And revive me in Your way.
- I don’t watch or look at things that incite covetousness in my heart. I don’t go places that cause me to want things I do not have. I know my weak spots and I avoid them.
- I pray- Lord forgive my covetous heart and change it to desire you!
- Learn to not worry about anything!
- Matthew 6:25-26 READ
- Is his word true? Will he do what he said he would do? I feel like we talk about it this because I think that many people deal with this. Worried about the future. STOP IT
7. The Scripture
- God tells the Pharoah that if he doesn’t give up the Israelites, he’s going to kill the first born
- God tells us, if we don’t give up our covetousness, we wont inherit the kingdom of God.
- God, true to his word, kills the first born.
- READ Ex 12:29-30. God always keeps his word. If he says he will, good or bad, he will do it.
- We play this game and think that God would do drastic things that were recorded in the bible, but we don’t think that he will keep his word with us.
- This is, in fact a path to destruction. You don’t have to live in fear of Hell, you have Jesus!
- But you have to get involved in the process. If it weren’t true, the Bible would say, You’re saved, there’s nothing else you have to work on, but it doesn’t. There’s lots to work on.
Heres what I Love- God always brings warnings before calamity
- V1 “I will bring one more plague on Pharaoh and on Egypt. Afterward he will let you go from here. When he lets you go, he will surely drive you out of here altogether. READ 4-6
- All of this happens. God keeps his word! Mt 24:6 Wars and rumors of wars Luke 21:20 when you see Jerusalem surrounded, flee Dt 8:19 it shall come about if you ever forget the Lord your God and after other Gods and serve them, I testify against you today that you will surely perish
- 1 John 5:21 Guard yourselves from idols Rom 6:23 the wages of sin is death
- There is nothing in your spiritual life that is a surprise. The laws of reaping and sowing are real
- When you find yourself being challenged, praise God for it! You’re in his grace! He’s warning you
- School zone by our house, lights, signs, same time. You’ll get a ticket. I got one in the mail
- It’s not like it didn’t come without a warning. They did everything they could. I wasn’t watching.
- God gives you clear warnings of what happens if you don’t accept Jesus, or follow him.
God always shows favor to his people in spite of circumstances
- As we’ve walked through these plagues we’ve seen the Israelites protected. That should encourage you. In this scripture, the Israelites get favor in the midst of calamity
- V2 says they got silver and gold from their neighbors. V3 says “the Lord gave the people favor in the sight of the Egyptians” READ V3, Moses very great, in the sight of Pharoah
- Ps 5:12 You, O Lord, will bless the righteous; With favor You will surround him as with a shield.
- Psalm 84:11 No good thing will He withhold From those who walk uprightly.
- Psalm 32:10 Many sorrows shall be to the wicked; But he who trusts in the Lord, mercy shall surround him. Proverbs 3:33 The curse of the Lord is on the house of the wicked, But He blesses the home of the just. Matthew 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
- The Israelites weren’t serving God to escape the plagues, they escaped the plagues because they were serving God. It wasn’t fear that saved them, it was sonship. They were YHWH’s people. The favor of God always follows the people of God. FOLLOW GOD IN EVERYTHING
- It isn’t to say it doesn’t rain on the just and unjust, or time and chance happen.
- But scriptures make clear that the people of God are ALWAYS blessed in SPITE of Calamity!
God’s people are always different
- 7 you may know that the Lord does make a difference between the Egyptians and Israel.
- We Get warnings. We get protected. Our lives are different. Yes, yes they are. There is favor on being a child of God. The bible says we are a holy people to the Lord a “peculiar” people. His treasured possession. Holy to him. Set apart. A chose race. A royal priesthood. A holy Nation. His own possession zealous for Good works.
- Since we are different, we live different. We don’t Look like the world and we don’t act like the world. God has set us apart and Jesus has saved us, so we live as bought people.
- Which brings us to the end of the matter- God gave us the 10 to live the 10 so we live for HIM
- All the ten set us apart. It makes us different. But we are different, and we get different blessings, and we are thankful for them.
- Make a decision to find contentment in the Lord and fight any emotions against it by HIM