Eph 5:27 A Glorious Church
- Let me cover this again- The reach more campaign is for us to pay off our building to Reach more with having more, Save money, Ensure legacy, Move forward. Solid Place to WORSHIP
- Church has no money problems- This is what the Lord asked us to do. (They are coming for us)
- Asking you to pray this month-24 NOV Mo sacrifice Jan for 36 mos, don’t have to. May change for you if things change. No pressure. Just what the Lord is asking us to do in this season
- I am going to preaching messages this month to get you to see why we should do this
- The short answer is- We’re doing it for God so others will come to praise him in His Church
- First I feel like I need to convince you of the value of church and church buildings.
- You see the value because you’re here. People will denigrate it while actually sitting in it.
- These two attacks are common place in today’s America :They come out as “I don’t need to be a Christian to go to church” and “Churches don’t need buildings”
- I want you to see value in what we do, where we do it. Defend Church and its places.
- This doesn’t get talked about because its not ‘me centered’ churches afraid to talk about it
- The reality is that people of God have met in Buildings since before Christ and The Gathering place of Christians has been, and continues to be the greatest evangelistic tool In America
- What are we supposed to be doing as a church
- First- Worshipping together in the Church Building- repeatedly gathering together
- Hebrews 10:25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching. Acts 2:42
- Psalm 111:1 Praise the Lord! I will praise the Lord with my whole heart, In the assembly of the upright and in the congregation.
- We see in the book of acts– The church gathering together in the synagogue
- Acts: 13: 14 But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day and sat down. 15 And after the reading of the Law and the Prophets, the rulers of the synagogue sent to them, saying, “Men and brethren, if you have any word of exhortation for the people, say on.” (and then they let them have it)
- Acts 13: 42 So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.
- Two- Making disciples in the church. to join us in Worship- fellowshipping with the saints- awaiting Christ’s return
- Salvation is sustained through discipleship. Jesus: If you love me obey my commandments
- Matt 28:19-20 Therefore go and make disciples.
- Christianity is not a spectator sport. It never has been Christians become the Body of Christ
- Col 1:24 I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church,
- ekklēsia ek-klay-see’-ah From a compound of G1537 and a derivative of G2564; a calling out, that is, (concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both): – assembly, church.
- 1 Cor 12:12-13, Rom 12:4-5, Eph 4:16, col 1:18, Eph 3:6, 1 cor 1:10, eph 4:4-7,Eph 4:11
- 2 Tim 2:1-2 You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2 And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.
- Three- Awaiting Christ’s return
- Eph 5:27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.
- We live with an expectation of Christs return. We know he is coming back soon. LIVE LIKE IT
- Rev 22:12,1 Thes 5:2, 1 Thes, 4:16, Heb 9:28, Matt 24:36, 2 Peter 3:10, Romans 2:6-8
- Four- Conducting Church Business
- The Bible is clear that there are Elders, Overseers, Apostles, prophets, teachers, pastors, evangelists, deacons in the church- 1 Cor 6 Says the law is the least esteemed-
- The Bible is clear that 1 Timothy 3:15 but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
- The Bible talks about baptisms, communion, marriages, discipline, worship, IN THE CHURCH
- READ CHURCH SCRIPTURES (No need to make the slides, but put them online)
- Why is the building so important and need to be established?
- Churches in the Bible had public meeting places. They are all over the world
- need to convince you of value of a church building because people denigrate them constantly.
- Why? They see no value in doing something for God- No different than Judas’s heart
- John 12:5-6 “Why was this fragrant oil not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?” 6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor, but because he was a thief, and had the money box; and he used to take what was put in it.
- People say- Bible people met in houses- and they DID when they were persecuted- but they ALSO met in public places-
- Colossians 4:15-16 Greet the brethren who are in Laodicea, and Nymphas and the church that is in his house. 16 Now when this epistle is read among you, see that it is read also in the church of the Laodiceans, and that you likewise read the epistle from Laodicea.
- READ 1 Cor 11:17-22 v22 What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and shame those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you in this? I do not praise you. (1 Corinthians 14:23 when the whole church comes together)
- 2. Why is a church building so important to a group of believers called a church?
- First It establishes it as a permanent fixture in the community in which is resides. People who are part of the community recognize it as a landmark- Its demonstratively says “we’re here” and “build a life”. It’s a place of symbolism and reflection. You are reminded of God what he did
- W Clarkson- if some places have a peculiar sanctity, it is that “ever, place may be holy ground “to us; that we may find God everywhere and in everything; that we may worship and serve him in every sphere and on all occasions whatsoever. Still, the feeling rests on a basis of truth. We know that there was a “most holy place” –
- Cant go to Calvary, I can go to summer camp, can go to Living way, Churches close all the time
- W. Clarkson- Apart from and independent of any act of formal “consecration,” the place where we gather together to worship God, the place where we hold holy and happy fellowship with Christ, the place where we listen with eager mind and fervent spirit to his Divine truth, – this is hallowed ground to us; these are sacred spots which we tread reverently, where we feel near to God, which will always be peculiarly dear to our hearts.
- People say- “God is everywhere” But you have family cabins where you remember gramps
- Your family wants to keep it in the family because you like to go there, have family time, and remember the good times. It becomes a fixture in your family and its worth defending!
- Historically, people would usually be brought in the front door, and buried out the back door
- I was able to go and visit the grave of my Great Grandfather in St Paul right outside the church
- People show up at church because of death, loss, longing, yearning
- If it is not a public meeting place, that is easy to find, people are at the whim of the individual to reach out to them and share the Gospel with them-and frankly- that doesn’t work.
- We don’t sleep here, we don’t do medicine here, we don’t fix our cars here, we worship here We decide that this is place where we worship God collectively, it doesn’t say that God isnt’ over all the earth, or this is the only place to find God. Quite the contrary, we set it apart.
- we collectively decide which places have value- We Faith and Victory say- This is for GOD
- Everything else in this world is organized and has a structure, and for some reason, it comes to Christianity and people think its some hodge podge thrown together kind of endeavor
- Secondly The Bible is fully of references to synagogues, temples, houses, and other structures
- Rev 21 talks about a great city- Cities have buildings
- We are spiritual jews- We came from temples and buildings- The Jews, from whom Christianity derived, worshiped in synagogues and Temples JESUS NEVER SPOKE AGAINST
- Luke 7: 4 And when they came to Jesus, they begged Him earnestly, saying that the one for whom He should do this was deserving, 5 “for he loves our nation, and has built us a synagogue.”
- Thirdly- Heaven will have buildings Jesus speaks of Heaven having buildings
- Jn 14:2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
- early Christians worshiped in homes and synagogues and clandestinely in caves or catacombs,
- 250 AD wide persecution took place as consequence of an edict by the emperor Decius.
- 2-23 303, Emperor Diocletian, issued a edict: Destroying of churches and burning of the Holy Scriptures, Confiscation of church property, (Why would he say this if they had nothing?)
- Later in the 3rd century there was an edict legalizing Christianity and church buildings flourished
- Christians, whose belief-system developed from Judaism, would also eventually (especially after official persecution ceased) have buildings of worship, just as the Jews did.
- deductively and analogically, the Bible sanctions Christian church buildings
- Mt 4:23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease among the people.
- Migdal Beach Israel in 2009 discovered a synagogue/church dating from 50BC to 1st century
- Acts 9:2 and asked letters from him to the synagogues of Damascus, so that if he found any who were of the Way, whether men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.
- Paul found Christians to persecute in Synagogues because that’s where they were meeting
- 3. The Value of the Church- A publicly gathered body of Believers
- You’re literally inside a church building, listening to a pastor, organized by by-laws and structure, having to be convinced that it’s a right Biblical way to do things. Internalize it
- Many people believe in Churches and Church buildings until you ask them to support them, then they scoff at the idea of their importance- But Its VITALLY important. YOU’RE HERE
- I get it- You’ve been told you’re the temple of the Holy Spirit and you are
- 1 cor 3: 16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
- You’ve been told God is everywhere and doesn’t reside in a building, and that’s true.
- 1 Kings 8:27 “But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain You. How much less this temple which I have built!
- But there is enormous value in establishing a Church that will never go away until Christ returns, and have a debt free building ensures that. we want this to outlive us- For our kids
- The church is a type of “ark” of safety for believers in Jesus Christ
|Noah’s Ark: A Type Of The Church|
|Noah’s Ark||The church of Christ|
|One Source of Light: One Window(Gen. 6:16)||One Source of Light: The Bible(Psalm 119:105,130)|
|One Entrance or Door(Gen. 6:16)||One Entrance: Christ, the Door(John 10:9)|
|One Family Inside(Gen. 7:1,7)||One Family Inside(Galatians 3:28-29)|
|One Ark, No Other Boats(Gen. 6:14)||One Church, No Other Organizations(Eph. 1:22-23; 4:4)|
|Saved By Water(1 Peter 3:20)||Saved By Baptism(1 Peter 3:21)|
|Destruction To All Outside The Ark(Gen. 7:20-22).||Destruction To All Outside The Church(Acts 2:47; 2 Thessalonians 1:7-9)|
|Noah Had Work To Do: Feed TheAnimals (Gen. 6:21)||There Is Work To Be Done In TheChurch (1 Corinthians 15:58)|
|One Hope: Life On A New World(Gen. 8:4-19)||One Hope: Life Eternal(Matthew 25:46; Eph. 4:4)|
- Even in the OT- God could not be contained in buildings
- 1 kings 8:29 that Your eyes may be open toward this temple night and day, toward the place of which You said, ‘My name shall be there,’ that You may hear the prayer which Your servant makes toward this place. 30 And may You hear the supplication of Your servant and of Your people Israel, when they pray toward this place. Hear in heaven Your dwelling place; and when You hear, forgive.
- Acts 17:24 God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. 25 Nor is He worshiped with men’s hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things.
- God does not dwell in a building, he dwells in the heavens, but the meeting place becomes a place of consecrated value, that symbolizes the place where we choose to worship God
- I want you to see value in- The Church Gathered. The Church Established. The Church enduring.
- We get some benefits of it- but the greatest benefactor is God- He gets the benefits.
- But we, the people of Faith and Victory should want our church to endure. We should
- If you’ve downplayed the church, repent. If you have downplayed a building, repent
- Its because of hIM and FOR Him that we gather and establish. HIS NAME GREAT
Scriptures about the Church
Scriputures about Church
Matthew 16:18 I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. Matthew 18:17 tell it to the church. Acts 2:47 the Lord added to the church daily
Acts 5:11 So great fear came upon all the church Acts 11:22 to the ears of the church
Acts 11:26 they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. Acts 12:5 prayer was offered to God for him by the church. Acts 14:23 they had appointed elders in every church
Acts 14:27 Now when they had come and gathered the church together, Acts 15:3 So, being sent on their way by the church Acts 15:4 they were received by the church and the apostles and the elders Acts 15:22 Then it pleased the apostles and elders, with the whole church Acts 15:41 strengthening the churches. Acts 16:5 So the churches were strengthened in the faith, and increased in number daily. Acts 18:22 greeted the church Acts 20:28 shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. Romans 16:1 who is a servant of the church
Romans 16:16 The churches of Christ greet you. 1 Cor 4:1 I teach everywhere in every church.
7:17 so I ordain in all the churches. 10:32 Give no offense to the church of God, 11:18 when you come together as a churc 12:28 And God has appointed these in the church 14:4 he who prophesies edifies the church. 14:12 let it be for the edification of the church 14:23 Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place 16:1 I have given orders to the churches 16:19 The churches of Asia greet you. 2 Cor 8:23 they are messengers of the churches 8:24 before the churches 11:28 my deep concern for all the churches. Ephesians 1:22 to be head over all things to the church, 3:10 to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places,
Ephesians 5:23 Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body.
Ephesians 5:24 the church is subject to Christ
Ephesians 5:25 Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her
Ephesians 5:27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church
Ephesians 5:32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
Colossians 1:18 And He is the head of the body, the church
Colossians 1:24 for the sake of His body, which is the church,
1 Thessalonians 2:14 became imitators of the churches of God which are in Judea in Christ Jesus. 1 Timothy 3:5 (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?); 1 Timothy 5:16 and do not let the church be burdened
Hebrews 12:23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven James 5:14 Let him call for the elders of the church
3 John 1:6 who have borne witness of your love before the church. 3 John 1:9 I wrote to the church, 3 John 1:10 putting them out of the church.
Revelation 1:4 to the seven churches which are in Asia:
Revelation 1:20 The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands which you saw are the seven churches. Revelation 2:7 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. Revelation 22:16 “I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.”
For more sermons please visit faithandvictory.com/sermons.