The following is the actual sermon notes from the pastor. The pastor uses this as a guideline. For this reason, it is not an exact transcript of the audio or video. It is being provided for your reference only.
I Pledge Allegiance (Worship)
John 4:21-24, 21 Jesus replied, “Believe me, dear woman, the time is coming when it will no longer matter whether you worship the Father on this mountain or in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans know very little about the one you worship, while we Jews know all about him, for salvation comes through the Jews. 23 But the time is coming—indeed it’s here now—when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship him that way. 24 For God is Spirit, so those who worship him must worship in spirit and in truth.”
– Samaritans: In part, they were gentiles, foreigners that intermarried with the Jews.
– They had the Pentateuch (writings of Moses) but rejected the prophets.
– They mixed the “Bible” with idol worship, and were hated by the Jews.
– Samaritans believed the proper place to worship was on the mountain (in their temple), and the Jews believed it was in Jerusalem (in their temple).
– “Jesus had to go through Samaria on the way…” (John 4:4)
– Pastor Matt’s sermon (click on the picture to listen to it), It wasn’t the ONLY route, actually the least preferred!
– He had to go there, because they needed to here his message of salvation.
- What is worship?
Worship: Reverent devotion and allegiance pledged to God, or an idol. To regard with great respect and honor.
– Jesus says, “where” you worship doesn’t matter (in City, or on mountain), but “how” does.
– “True worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth.”
– Worship in spirit:
– With you whole heart engaged! Not a flesh thing. Not just right actions, but heart condition.
– Jesus is the Holy Spirit, so worship him using the Holy Spirit’s power and leading.
– John 14:17, He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.
Russ is always excited to worship.
– Worship in truth:
– Psalm 5:7, Because of your unfailing love, I can enter your house; I will worship at your Temple with deepest awe. (Awesome…)
– Not WHERE you worship, but HOW you worship:
– Example: Foursquare, 1000 people, LED screens, polished rock band, spirit-filled church that does everything right, I didn’t need to engage or worship, happened without me.
– Started FVC, 10 people, and Pastor Matt playing the keyboard. I HAD to worship!
– The “temple” I worshipped in didn’t matter. I had to engage to grow.
– Audience of one! (When the music fades… Coming back to the heart of worship… )
– Romans 12:1, And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him.
– You worship God by how you live your life:
– Example: Memorial day. We pledge allegiance to the flag and our country, and show great respect and honor to the military service members who have given their lives to protect our freedom. (As well we should!)
– Imagine going to a service tomorrow and showing up late, or talking though the 21 gun salute, or getting up in the middle to get some water or go to the bathroom… disrespectful and shocking!
– Imagine if you were serving in the ceremony, joking through the processional, not dressed in the right uniform, or Facebooking because, “you already saw the first service so…”
– Imagine your cell phone ringing during the playing of Taps…
– It might make your blood boil to imagine that complacent disrespect, but is this how we act at the ceremony remembering when Jesus died for our spiritual freedom?!
– Be a living sacrifice, and worship him at church:
– Prepare your heart in advance for the ceremony worshiping YOUR Savior.
– Show up on time, be in the sanctuary ready for the service.
– Really focus and reflect on what you are doing, and how important it is.
– We have 2 services: So you can serve at one, and worship at the other.
– Don’t confuse service with worship. (If you are only serving, you will run dry!)
– You must “enter in” to worship, focus on the Lord, in Spirit and Truth, and no worrying about what is going on around you that needs to get done.
Verse 23: “But the time is coming—indeed it’s here now—when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth.”
– What should be our response?
– Look at the Samaritan woman, at the well, talking with Jesus:
– She knew from scripture that a Savior was coming to reveal the truth, and she was looking for him. Jesus tells her that HE is that very Savior!
– Hearing this, she ran into town and told everyone about Jesus, and many believed because of her testimony.
– And still more came to that place to meet Jesus for themselves, and believe and be saved.
– You can meet Jesus in THIS PLACE!
– Worship begins and ends with understanding and accepting the saving grace of Jesus Christ!
– ALTER CALL and PRAYER –