It’s Time to Grow Up! – 1 Corinthians 3:1-3
Disclaimer: I am not the epitome of this sermon. In fact the reason that this topic is of particular concern to me is that I am more the opposite of this sermon than the example of it. I am not particularly mature or advanced as a Christian but I want to be. I want to enter greater maturity and I hope you guys do to.
What does it mean to be Carnal?
– Fleshly, worldly minded, sinful
Is it possible for Christian to be carnal?
– Yes look at the Corinthians!
[1Co 1:4-9 NKJV] 4 I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Christ Jesus, 5 that you were enriched in everything by Him in all utterance and all knowledge, 6 even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you, 7 so that you come short in no gift, eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ, 8 who will also confirm you to the end, [that you may be] blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 God [is] faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
– There is no doubt that Paul is speaking to Christians yet look at ch 3:1-3
[1Co 3:1-3 NKJV] 1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. 2 I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able [to receive it], and even now you are still not able; 3 for you are still carnal. For where [there are] envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like [mere] men?
– There are two states that a Christian can exist in
– Carnal and spiritual or mature and immature
Now the question I ask myself and I want you to ask yourself is am I spiritual or am I carnal?
3 things that mark a carnal Christian
- Infirm either dying or stagnant (no growth)
– If a baby doesn’t grow either physically or mentally it is indicative of a disorder, disease or deformity
– An infant cannot help himself or others
– Needs constant attention and supervision
– Are we making sufficient spiritual progress or are we in this state of protracted infancy
[Heb 5:11-14 NKJV] 11 of whom we have much to say, and hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. 12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need [someone] to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food. 13 For everyone who partakes [only] of milk [is] unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. 14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, [that is], those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
– Are you selfish? Babies don’t care that they cry all night keeping
- Impotent or powerless over sin
– There are two forces at work in us the Spirit and the Flesh
– [Gal 5:17 NKJV] 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.
– Which one is winning?
– John 8:34 says … whoever commits sin is a slave of sin.
A life dominated by sin is carnal
[Gal 5:19-21 NKJV] 19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told [you] in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
- One of the biggest ways that I am carnal is being a huge complainer!
- The people complained and said to Moses “let us alone” – Exodus 14:11-12
- The people complained about being hungry; God gave them Manna – Exodus 16:1-4
- the people complained about food – Numbers 11 – Quail out your
- Miriam and Aaron complain about Moses’ leadership – The Lord curses Miriam with leprosy – Numbers 12:1-12
- The people complained about how difficult it looked to enter the land so they refused to enter the Promise Land. Numbers 14:1-10
– The key leaders rebel against Moses – Numbers 16
[Rom 8:5-8 NKJV] 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those [who live] according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded [is] death, but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
[Jas 1:23-24 NKJV] 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; 24 for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was.
How to reverse the Carnal state
- Must be convicted of your carnal state
- No remedy is found within yourself ‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ Says the LORD of hosts Zech 4:6
- Believe that it is possible to live a victorious life
- [Eph 5:1-4 NKJV] 1 Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. 2 And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma. 3 But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; 4 neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.
- Be willing to give up everything
[Heb 12:1 NKJV] 1 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares [us], and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
- Be filled with the Spirit
- The Holy Spirit enlighten us concerning truth John 16, 1 John 2:27
- Empowers us to be witnesses
- Enables us to live Godly lives
- [Eze 36:25-27 NKJV] 25 “Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. 26 “I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 “I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do [them].
- [Gal 5:16, 22-25 NKJV] 16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. … 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those [who are] Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.