Child Like Faith
Read Mark 10:13-16
Ephesians 5:1 Therefore be imitators of God as dear children.
- Whoever does not receive the kingdom as a little child will by no means enter it
- V 15 Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.”
- When Jesus is talking to his disciples, he’s using the example of Children to show them the type of mindset, attitude and focus they should have to be able to please God
- It so counter cultural- we as people want to grow up as fast as we can.
- Met this young gal one time- said she was almost 16 and really was about to turn 15
- God doesn’t want us to be childish- but to have a heart condition of children
- This is ongoing theme in the NT
- 1 Peter 2:2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby,
- Hebrews 5:12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food.
- That is more about spiritual maturity and being a baby not about having the heart of a child- there’s a difference. You can have the heart of a child and be spiritually mature
- Because here’s the deal:
- Children believe easy
One of the greatest things about children is that they don’t question everything. They just accept it as truth.
This is great if you’re filling them with truth, this is horrible if you’re filling them with trash
This is why early on you need to teach children the truths of God’s word. They’ll believe it
Hebrews 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.
When you tell a child to believe God, they’ll do it! They’ll believe and pray for God to do big stuff
John 20:27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe.”
What would it be like if you believed easy? You didn’t fight God on everything and just believed!
There is so much time spent arguing and fighting with adults who think they are smarter than God
Luke 8:50 But when Jesus heard it, He answered him, saying, “Do not be afraid; only believe, and she will be made well.”
- Children imitate their parents
- 1 Corinthians 11:1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.
- Typically, children mirror their parents, or the style by which they’ve been parented
- Why is this? Children mirror what they see at home- They learn by looking and watching
- 1 Corinthians 15:33 Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits.”
- When you’ve got rotten kids, its typically because they aren’t being parented well
- John 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do.
- Look at an adult and see the evil in them and its because God isn’t their father
- Following the wrong father will produce a child that doesn’t mirror the heart of God
- Imitate God! Look at Jesus and be like him!
- When Jesus says to be like Children- he is saying to be like him! Following Father God
- Children are helpless and dependent
- Sure, kids can do some stuff, but it’s a long long time until you don’t have to do anything
- They are dependent on parents for a long time- some even longer than they should
- Not necessarily bad- that’s what parents are supposed to do- Gabe thinking I know everything
- Problem- We want to be independent of God- we want to do our own thing- we don’t want to be dependent, and he WANTS us to be dependent
- Isaiah 41:13 For I, the Lord your God, will hold your right hand,
- Its when we move out from the provision of God and his protection that we get into trouble
- Philippians 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
- How often are you going before God and making your requests known?
- God isn’t designing you or your life to be without him and his help. DEPEND ON HIM
- Matthew 6:8 “Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. Saying to you, ‘Fear not, I will help you.’
- Children can be taught
- Interesting about a child, is that typically they are teachable when they know nothing
- The problem comes when they think they know, but eventually, they’ll pay attention
- Whatever age that is where they will listen and receive is the one- where they remain teachable
- Proverbs 1:5 A wise man will hear and increase learning, And a man of understanding will attain wise counsel,
- What is hard about adults is that they think they know everything. Even stuff they don’t know
- I’m different. I love being around someone who knows more than I do- not someone who is lying about it.
- 2 Timothy 3:7 always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
- That’s some adults I know. Be teachable!!! Be a person who can be taught something
- Don’t be a thick headed knowitall who cant be told anything. No one likes that guy!
- Children don’t desire riches
- Hebrews 13:5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
- They’ll share! Not always- but I remember finding kids sharing a sucker in the AMC
- But you never hear a child desiring riches- they are content with where they are
- As a young child I never cared where I lived, wore, cars drove, where we ate and what we ate
- I just went along with the program. My desires weren’t to accumulate wealth as a child
- 1 Timothy 6:9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition.
- Can you just remove the desire for houses, cars, clothes, jewelry, money, vacations, and stuff from your mind? Can you see how much easier your life is?
- We taught our kids to tithe early. They don’t covet. They don’t desire riches.
- Malachi 3:10 Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, That there may be food in My house, And try Me now in this,” Says the Lord of hosts, “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven And pour out for you such blessing That there will not be room enough to receive it.
- Children love
- Be around some kids- They’ll end up hugging or holding hands. If theres a kid around that gets hurt, they all come around.
- I’ve been volunteering in the Childrens ministry- and kids in the toddler room, they just come up and sit on my lap. Some of them know me, but not all of them.
- 1 John 4:11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
- Kids that are being loved typically are loving as well.
- Why do you refuse to love people? Seriously. Whats the issue? We’re all broke. We all need it
- 1 Peter 4:8-9 And above all things have fervent love for one another, for “love will cover a multitude of sins.” 9 Be hospitable to one another without grumbling.
- What would your life look like if you just loved people? Everyone
- See I have a theory- if you don’t love everyone, you don’t love anyone.
- Jesus demands that those who claim to follow Him love everyone. If you’re selective in who you love you’re WRONG.
- Luke 6:32 “But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them.
- Children will get along with anyone
- Romans 12:18 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.
- This whole racism thing is not of God. If you have one ounce of disdain for anyone who doesn’t look like you, you’re WRONG
- Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
- Go down in the toddler room- there is no division. Kids play with everyone. They don’t even care or notice
- Racism is a tool of the devil to keep us from doing what we are trying to do
- We’re trying to build a church that looks like heaven
- Romans 2:11 For there is no partiality with God.
- Children get over stuff quickly
- You know whats fun about kids? They can get a red ball kicked straight to their face and they’ll still play kickball the next day
- Typically, younger kids can get into a fist fight, and then moments later be playing again
- You have to teach kids to hold grudges. They don’t do it naturally. They are very quick to forgive
- My brother and I used to fight relentlessly when we were kids, but we always ended up playing together. Mostly out of necessity. In my adult life, I have never had a moment when there was a fight or separation from me and my brother. He’s my brother! My only one! We deal with it and move on
- Matthew 6:14 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
- It takes so much emotional work to not forgive someone. You have to remember that you don’t like them, you have tor remember why you don’t like them. You have to keep mental lists of who you don’t like
- Just forgive people! Its funner- It pleases the heart of God
- 1 John 3:10 In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother.
- Children will respond to authority
- I do this thing when I’m around kids- any kids “hey”. My voice is enough. I don’t just do it at church. Anywhere I’m at if there is an unsafe act, I’ll call out a kid without parents around
- When I was a kid- any adult would square you away. This is why kids could be away. Another adult would step up and kids would be obedient
- Being on plane to Ghana- adult rebuking young man- he apologized.
- 1 Peter 1:14 as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance;
- Just be obedient! The book of James says to do what the word says!
- You usually know what you need to be doing, you’re just disobedient to it.
- Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.
- Children live in Joy
- Have you ever noticed a child with nothing to do? They’ll start spinning around
- They just find joy in life. Bag of rocks and couple other kids and they are good
- Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
- Are you enjoying being sad and frustrated? Are you enjoying being sullen? Hows that working?
- Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!
- I love being alive. I love laughing. I love being around fun people and giggling. Life is fun
- Proverbs 17:22 A merry heart does good, like medicine,But a broken spirit dries the bones.
- Find some joy in your life! Find something to be happy about!
- Children aim to please
2 Corinthians 5:9 Therefore we make it our aim, whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him.
Child Like Faith