Marching Together Colossians 2:8-10
Small Group Questions
What traditions have you put before God? What traditions has your family put before God? Do you have someone that will correct you if your values become “off”.
How are you guarding yourself from the “nonsense” of man? Must you do things YOUR way? Are you fighting your battles alone? Are you willing to March Together even when you disagree or it’s weird? Are you willing to March together on social media?
Is your walk with Christ part of a philosophy or is it a lifestyle? Give an example of Christ being a philosophy or a lifestyle in your life.
Additional Homework: Talk to someone this week not from church or your family and ask them what they see when they look at the way you live.
- Paul is telling the Colossian church not to be deceived – Deceived by Philosophy and deceits according to the tradition of men
- These deceits or misrepresentation of the truth were aimed at corrupting the core believe of Christianity
- To erode the Truth and replace it with the basic principles of the world and not according to Christ -– fill in the gap –
- That no one carries you off as spoils – Diminish or destroy the value- your value
- Plain nonsense – that are man made
- Following the elementary teaching of the world
- We have to be careful that we do not put our traditions before God. We are Christians first
- Matthew 15:2 -Then the scribes and Pharisees who were from Jerusalem came to Jesus, saying, 2 “Why do Your disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat bread.” He answered and said to them, “Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition?
- There is nothing wrong with Philosophy – the issue comes in when we are not truly planted in Christ that we end up swaying in any direction that the wind blows.
- Philosophies outside of Christ, leads you to slavery
- Don’t let anyone capture you with empty Philosophy and high-sounding nonsense that comes from human thinking
- Simple Gospel – don’t complicate it – Jesus crucified and His blood set us free
- I Timothy 6:20 – O Timothy! Guard what was committed to your trust, avoiding the profane and idle babblings and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge
- Paul in writing to Timothy and though he trusts him, he is challenging Timothy to distinguish between what comes from God and that which is from man
- What are some of the basic principles of the world were they being warned about?
- God was a pure spirit and could not come close to human beings, they promoted the use of mediums
- Believed that the story of creation found in the Bible was a lie and that God wasn’t actually the one responsible for the creation of our world, at least not directly – Possession of knowledge was the way of Salvation
- Body of Christ was material and not Spiritual. They ignored the responsibilities done by the body- leading to immoral life
- Unfortunately, we can see most of this, if not all in our current culture
- People have become lovers of themselves -giving ear to new doctrines that are of the world
- Looking at the next Church experience
- Neglected the command of God and holding on to the tradition on man
- Mark 7:7-10 – We wash the cup on the outside but refuse the power of Christ to transform us on the inside
- What does the world see and what do you see? What does the World seek and what do you seek?
- Is your walk with Christ part of a philosophy or is it a lifestyle?
- Vs 2-3 – Understand the mysterious plan, which is Christ himself, in him lies hidden “all treasures of wisdom and knowledge”
- Let your roots grow deep into Him
- Your Faith will grow strong in the “Truth” and you will over follow with thankfulness
- He uses the week to confound the strong–
- 1 Corinthians 1:27 – But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty
- Before Christ, you and I were a slave under the spiritual forces of the World
- I remember when I used to party and drink – I would be so sick and would say – I will never go out again. But same night, friends would call and I would go
- You do not have the will power – Its only through Christ
How do we guard ourselves against the nonsense of men? The high-sounding knowledge that leads us away from Christ?
Joshua 6: 1-20
The wall of Jericho
- Jericho was securely shut up, no one went in or out
- I have given you Jericho into your hands, its kings and mighty men of Valor
- Go around the city ones for 6 days
- Bring the ark, Priest will bring the Horns
- 7th day you will match around the city 7
- On the 7th day, the priest will blow the horn on the 7th round and you shall shout – Great shout – And the wall will fall
- They were asked to match together in silence
- They matched for six days – Nothing is happening
- They were dressed for battle – Prepared with full load
- Trained killers who had self-control – restrain themselves
- It was impossible to fight and bring down the wall- to Human nature it was impossible- But to God, He spoke in past tense before the battle began
- You shall march around the city: The method of warfare was one that made absolutely no sense according to military intelligence. It required total dependence on God.
- It required great faith from Joshua because he had to explain and lead the nation in this plan.
- It required great faith from the elders and the nation, because they had to follow Joshua in this plan.
- Joshua had to tell the priests, because what they were asked to do was unusual. Normally, priests and the ark of the covenant did not go with Israel to battle.
- It took courage for Israel to do this; Israel was wide open to attack during this time, and it would have been easy for the people of Jericho to attack them from the high position of the walls.
- It took endurance for Israel to do this; the match for six days, and they had to persist in something that didn’t seem to make much sense.
- There is a reason why the Lord set it out like this:
- What is the Lord asking you?
- In this story – Are you a guard or a priest – front or back,
- Is today day 1 in your life or day 7?
- The guys inside the walls – Day 1-3 ridicule, but I wonder if day 5&6 after consistently coming, that they began to wonder
- The discipline was unmatched – This was a training ground- Joshua went on to win many battles after this.
- They understood that they could shout on their own on – and only their weak voices would be heard or they could wait for the Lord to shout with them- Lion guard (Kion (Kaion), -roar of the elders)
- Can we be that disciplined? Especially in our day to day life
- I see a lot of you on Social media- Wanting to affect change, – do you have the power to bring down the wall on you own post – shout?
- Or do you want God to be with you
- Do you have the discipline to do that?
- Are you willing to follow God’s leader and march together as one?
- Are you willing to be silent and Let God work?
- Then wait for His instructions
- Know which day it is
- How is your prayer life, Bible reading life? Or are you a master of Social Media?
- Self- Control – This would mean that the believer’s authority and dominion in Christ must begin with themselves. If you cannot master yourself, you are probably not going to master your life and you can probably forget about commanding the mountains – Fat Broke and poor
- 1 Timothy 6:20 O Timothy! Guard what was committed to your trust, avoiding the profane and [a]idle babblings and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge— by professing it some have strayed concerning the faith.
- Ephesian 3:17-19 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— 19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
For more sermons visit our SERMONS PAGE
To contact a pastor visit our WELCOME PAGE
Please subscribe to our YOUTUBE PAGE