GO! (Missions Sunday) (Matthew 28:16-20) *Verses in NKJV*
Read Matthew 28:16-20
– This is commonly called “The Great Commission” and is used as a rally cry for global missions.
– Jesus commissioned his disciples to get going, make disciples, and teach them to obey.
– True Christian missions IS discipleship.
– At FVC this is a biblical requirement, and we support many missionaries. These missionaries bring the Good News to hostile countries, and to their next-door neighbors. They feed, serve, support, shelter, pray, and disciple various communities around the world. You can be a part of this too!!
#1. Go! and make disciples.
– Matthew 28:18-19, And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
– The purpose of the Great Commission is to spread the gospel and make disciples, by the power and authority given to us by Jesus Christ.
– A disciple is one who repents of sin, trusts in Jesus for salvation, and obeys the teachings of Jesus.
– “All Nations” roughly translated means “All people groups”.
– 90% of all unreached people groups lie within a region called the 10/40 window, between 10 and 40 degrees north of the equator and reaching from the west coast of Africa to the east coast of Asia.
– The proper response to hearing the gospel is calling upon the name of the Lord: Romans 10:8-13
– But FIRST you need Romans 10:14-15 !!
– FVC supports missionaries that bring the gospel to all people groups!
– Croatia With Us:
– The Molvar family was sent out to Croatia by their church a few years ago.
– Croatia is a post-communism, hollow-Catholicism society. They need true transformation! Evidence suggests the number of agnostics and religious skeptics has risen more than twenty times over the past ten years, while the number of atheists has almost doubled. … a token 0.3% of Croatia’s population identify as Protestant Christians.
– After years of toil and setbacks, they have finally planted an international church, bringing true Christ-centered preaching and teaching to the region! 55 people for Easter service.
– They need our prayers for more volunteers to keep the momentum going.
– Faith and Victory Church, Pakistan: (Talk to Pastor Todd)
– We have partnered with them for many years, Robin is our contact for the church.
– In the 10/40 window, hostile Muslim country, spreading the gospel without fear!
– Update on Robin: Currently in Lithuania now and can’t return to Pakistan. The Govt. has a hit out on him for when he distributed thousands of bibles. (We helped with that too.)
– Update on the church: FVC Pakistan has adopted a tribe outside of the city that had shamans and worshipped spirits. They have no running water or electricity. They dug them a well and got them goats, moving them towards being self-sufficient. They have been sharing the gospel with them, and have begun teaching them how to be disciples who make disciples!
– They visit the tribe once a month. This is a huge undertaking, because traveling in these areas can be very dangerous. They can’t do this without our financial support!
– Think about “people groups” as not only defined by ethnicity, but also by culture. There is tribal-culture and religious-culture, but also athlete-culture, veteran-culture, and a culture-of-addiction…
– All distinct and homogeneous, all needing those who understand their culture to minister within it!
– Absolute Ministries: (Absolute Ministries raise your hand, in AMC after service)
– Right here in Auburn, ABSOLUTE Ministries provides positive housing to men and women that have completed a drug or alcohol inpatient rehab program and who want to live for Jesus Christ. Members make a commitment to lead a substance free life, in an atmosphere that focuses on accountability, integrity, character, transparency, and responsibility. This process makes for a true and successful transition, making people sustainable!
– Several of our FVC Family have benefited from this program!
– Union Gospel Mission:
– UGM provides a pathway out of homelessness by providing food, shelter, job training, and recovery services. The goal is to break the cycle of homelessness, abuse, and addiction, by reaching the poor with the love and power of the gospel so they may become God-dependent, contributing members of society.
– UGM says, “The Good News that Jesus came to conquer sin and death is at the core of everything we do. Why? Because only God can truly change a life. We can feed people, house them, provide tutoring and job training, but we cannot change a heart or set someone free from the weight of sin and shame. The best thing we can do for someone walking through our doors is to introduce them to Jesus Christ.”
– Fellowship of Christian Athletes: (Talk to Pastor Shelly)
– Liv Hanbey was raised in FVC, and now located in Newberg, Oregon.
– FCA seeks to make disciples through their strategy of engaging, equipping and empowering coaches and athletes to know and grow in Christ and lead others to do the same. The goal is to lead every coach and athlete into a growing relationship with Jesus and his church.
– FCA empowers Christian coaches and athletes to go into schools, sporting events, and practices to find those with misplaced identities in sports, to help them rise above the traditional worldly, selfish athletic cultural norms, and show them who they are in Christ.
– Liv coaches volleyball and hosts campus groups called “huddles” that meet weekly at middle and high schools, giving her the opportunity to disciple and empower youth with the gospel.
– So many people need Jesus!
– Matthew 9:36-38 36 But when He (Jesus) saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. 37 Then He said to His disciples, “The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few. 38 Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.”
#2. Teach them to obey what God has commanded.
– Matthew 28:20, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.
– The whole Book of Matthew comes down to this. For YOU, his disciples, to know what Jesus has done and commanded, equipping YOU to go teach it to other people.
– Not just teach what the bible says, but also helping others understand what it means, and how to apply it to their lives.
– The goal of “going to the nations” is to get people saved, AND make disciples by teaching them obedience. Not just service or comfort, but salvation and discipleship.
** Meeting someone’s basic needs can be the gateway to building relationships, in order to create a platform for ministry, and an audience that is ready to hear and receive the Gospel. **
– If someone is struggling to meet their basic needs day-to-day, how can they think about eternity? They need food, water, shelter…
– If someone is struggling with isolation and belonging, how can they receive your message? They need fellowship, understanding, and community…
– Service becomes the gateway to salvation. Don’t just tell them God’s love, show them.
– The disciples and Jesus often did miracles, loaves and fishes, healings… to draw crowds, gain credibility, and to help people focus on the message that Jesus is truly here to save them!
– Q Missions: (Point out Aaron)
– Q Missions exists to create a platform for veterans to live out the calling God has put on their lives. Their focus is helping veterans heal from the wounds of war. “Healing Thru Service”.
– QM is deeply involved in serving the local and international communities, with a focus on mental health, military veterans, suicide prevention, and being a light for Christ in the darkness corners of the mind.
– Aaron and QM have lead veterans in serving on the mission field all over the world, including Cambodia, Kenya, Mexico, and Ukraine. They help local churches around the nation build programs designed to reach out to veterans and disciple them in Christ.
– Operation Restore Hope/Homes of Hope: ORH brings a team of veterans to Mexico to build a home for a homeless family and learn about mental health. MULTIPLE BENEFITS!
1. A homeless family gets a home! In Mexico, 52% of the population lives below the poverty line. This one thing improves health, education, financial situation, and provides hope!
*2. Families struggling with basic issues of survival find it difficult to see beyond their circumstances. They can experience a sense of loss and hopelessness. This is true for poverty of being and spirit!! People who are mentally struggling … difficult to see beyond today!
3. YWAM/Homes of Hope lays the groundwork and does the follow up. ORH brings the team, provides the education, and blesses and encourages the long-term missionaries.
4. People find joy and perspective by serving on the mission field, then bring that home to serving in their communities and local church. (Many who received a home now serve YWAM)!
– Ministry and discipleship take place during the process of building and maintaining relationships, creating a brotherhood/sisterhood, and plugging people into the local church community.
– Service by itself is not enough. The gospel must be spoken to be received, and to change a life.
– Romans 10:17, So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
#3. Some still doubted.
– Matthew 28:17, When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doubted.
– Even though they have seen the risen Christ in the flesh, some STILL doubted! What else do they need to see? What could ever convince them?
– If they doubted Jesus and his mission, they will doubt your mission too!
– Don’t become discouraged. How they receive the gospel is not on you, it is on the Holy Spirit.
* The critic comes to place doubt in your service as a way to absolve themselves from serving. If they can doubt and discredit your actions, they can rest more comfortably in their own inaction. *
– You are not doing this alone! The last thing Jesus said was, Verse 20, “Lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
– 1 Cor 15:58, Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.
– Gal. 6:9-10, And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.
#4. What can YOU do?
– MLK Jr, “Nothing in the world is more dangerous that sincere ignorance…”
– You are now accountable to do something with what you learned from the Bible today!
– Pray and seek out if the Lord is calling you to be a long-term or short-term missionary. (QM Legacy Mexico house build coming in December)
– Maybe the Lord has placed you in a mission field right where you are at?
– Acts 1:8, But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
– Jerusalem, their home city. Judea and Samaria, the surrounding country… to the ends of the earth.
– There are many missionaries in the field right now that need financial support. This is tangible!
– TODAY we have Children of The Nations (Andrea):
– Sierra Leone, after a decade of brutal rebel wars, and the 2014 Ebola epidemic, the country is left with over 370,000 orphaned children.
– (COTN) Mission: To provide holistic, Christ-centered care for orphaned and destitute children, enabling them to create positive and lasting change in their nations. (All local missionaries!)
– This is playing the long game! Deep investment in the community! These young people are being authentically discipled, cared for physically, emotionally, and spiritually, and are transforming into educated adults with biblical and ethical values. These adults with transform their communities and create generational change in the name of Jesus!
– Example: January trip, Mokpangumba Village, teaching village pastors/ university kids…
**SPONSOR A CHILD!! $39 p/m provides spiritual development, quality education, medical care, clean water, and hope for the future… THIS is something you CAN do!!
– I encourage you to make a commitment to give to missions, above and beyond the tithe, no matter how small. It’s important! Don’t bail!! (More is going out of FVC missions than is coming in.)
– Pray for missionaries every day! Pray for favor, finances, protection, and opportunities.
– Set a reminder at 10:40am to pray for souls and servants in the 10/40 window.
– Pray that God will move on YOUR heart to sponsor a child, or volunteer with a ministry, etc…
– Col. 4:2-3, (Paul said) “Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving; 3 meanwhile praying also for us, that God would open to us a door for the word, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in chains,”
– Do Something!
– Did you notice the trend? With almost all of the missionaries I talked about today, they are people working inside their own culture and communities to spread the gospel and make disciples. (Sierra Leone, Pakistan, Mexico, Athletes, Addicts, Veterans…)
– You, personally, don’t need to “go to the ends of the earth” to fulfill the Great Commission.
– If this message is important to you, share it with someone else, make it important to them too.
– YOU CAN DO THIS! No more excuses!
– Psalms 96:1-3, Oh, sing to the Lord a new song! Sing to the Lord, all the earth. 2 Sing to the Lord, bless His name; Proclaim the good news of His salvation from day to day. 3 Declare His glory among the nations, His wonders among all peoples.
– prayer –
For more sermons please visit our SERMON PAGE
Please subscribe to our YOUTUBE PAGE