Some, must enter Hebrew 4: 1-11
- The idea of rest is very appealing – TGIF
- 2019 Americans 1.1 Trillion on vacations
- $1,979 per vacation
- 17- 20 days a year
- We value our rest so much that we will work hard looking forward to a weekend or vacation
- The only issue is that, these vacations have an end date
- Folks, we can and I know we will continue to strive for that time that we can get a way,
- However, the Writer of Hebrews is talking about a promise of a rest like no other
- ****READ THE VERSE ****
- Hebrew 4: 1 – Therefore, while the promise of entering His rest still remains and is freely offered today, let us fear, in case any one of you may seem to come short of reaching it or think he has come too late.
- And it likens to the Israelites, having been enslave for 400 years and a moment comes when they are supposed to rest, but through disobedience they don’t enter that rest.
- Matthew 11:28-30 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am [a]gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.
- This is not just for now, but it’s a preparation for the future to come
- There is a promise to enter rest – That is a guarantee that some will enter, but also some will not
- Think about that walk up the airport and you have you ticket in hand, you board and off you go on vacation – but this time round its Permanent
- The opposite of that is like, working so hard and when it’s the day of vacation, you walk up to the cruise line and your ticket is no good
- The promise (good news)
- Vs 6: It remains that some must enter!
- This is a great reassurance, because we as a world don’t deserve it
- Ecclesiastes 7:20 For there is not a just man on earth who does good and does not sin.
- Roman 3:23 – for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
- Yet, there is a standing promise that, you and I have an opportunity by the blood of Jesus It’s a promise
- Joshua 21:45 – Not one of the good promises which the Lord had made to the house of Israel failed; all came to pass
- In that good news, are some not so good news – In fact the worst news every- that only some will inherit that promise
- Some must enter!! – When you look at your life …Does that bring you joy or sorrow /Why?
- Vs. 2 For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.
- Hearing is an opportunity – But profit is when we mix it with faith
- Two people will hear the same Word of God, one will be in tears while the other will be playing with their coffee cup
- One is filtering the Word through Faith …while the other, its just words.
- Lots of people have ideas, I do as well, but action is required to bring those ideas to life
- Same concept here, you have to allow the Word to take root and have Faith that it will
- Without Faith we cannot please God
- Where is your faith anchor in? Reveal that to me Lord
- Ephesian 2:10 – For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
- We have to work hard to attain what is set before us.
- Its freely given but we have to get up and get it
- Vs 6: Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience,
- There was great joy, when the Israelites left Egypt and great sorrow when they couldn’t make it to the promise land
- Imagine the tragedy – Joy as they got ready only to bury everyone who had left Egypt except 2 people
- He swore that they shall not enter
- The Israelites would not enter the promised Land
- Disobedience bring wrath
- Today, if you hear His voice do not harden your heart
- God swore they would not enter His rest- and the same is today
- John 14:6 – Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
- A place has been prepared for Some to enter- rest and be in presence of God
- A place has been prepared for some to enter – a place of no rest and agony
- The choice is yours
- Vs 11: –Let us therefore make every effort to enter that rest [of God, to know and experience it for ourselves], so that no one will fall by following the same example of disobedience [as those who died in the wilderness].
- Philippians 2:12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
- Not with fear, not with our works- but in reference of what we possess- This amazing gift and promise
- That we never loose it- That we carry it to the end
- I pray that we finish this race well,
- I envy those who have finished this race well or are close to doing it
- Matthew 25:21 His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’
- Some will enter, some will not! Which part of some are you?
- Vs. 7 Today do not harden your heart, – today if you hear this message don’t deny yourself the rest
***Play this song at the end
- I need you to soften my heart And break me apart
I need you to open my eyes To see that You’re shaping my life
- Give me faith to trust what you say That you’re good and your love is great
I’m broken inside, I give you my life
- All I am, I surrender
- Cause I may be weak But Your spirit strong in me
My flesh may fail My God you never will
For more sermons please visit our SERMONS PAGE
Please subscribe to our YOUTUBE PAGE
Share The Gospel - Save The World