Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | RSS | More
1 Sam 23:14-18 I shall be next you – Discouraged
We all get discouraged. It just happens. Hit after hit comes- and we just feel down
If you feel that way- how many other people do you think feel that way?
I have had extended amounts of times in my life- even in the past 5 where I’m discouraged
God wants you to be an encourager- you to be the means of how he strengthens others
- Encouragement requires caring- I shall be next to you
- READ V 14-15
- Jonathan had to see that David was missing- they were friends- and because his friend was missing- he wanted to help him. – he had to actually CARE about his friend- Not selfish
- Pro 18:14 The spirit of a man will sustain him in sickness, But who can bear a broken spirit?
- Can you imagine how hard it would be to be David? Running for his life? VERY discouraged
- He knows that he is called of God- that God has big plans for him- but he is on the run! Trying to escape Saul and live out his kingship. – but day after day- someone trying to kill him
- Jonathan couldn’t be a friend to David if he was consumed with his own issues and problems
- He didn’t go out into the woods and say “hey bro my relationship w dad is destroyed let me tell you about it”. If Jonathan was going to encourage him- had to make it about DAVID not him
- Proverbs 27:9 Ointment and perfume delight the heart, And the sweetness of a man’s friend gives delight by hearty counsel.
- This is what Jonathan is doing- being sweet friend- he’s putting him first
- He was in despair over his friends missing that he went to seek him out. He CARED about HIM
What does it mean to you?
Who is your life about? about you, or about others? The Christian life is about others, not you
- Phil 2:4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
- You can look out for your interests- but not at the expense of others- you have to think of them also- constantly thinking about the needs of others- who can I encourage? Lift? Love?
- Philippians 2:3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.
- Esteem others better than HIMSELF. This is very hard in a self-centered society. Its about US
- Galatians 6:10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.
- This specifically needs to happen in the church- We have an obligation to bear with each others burdens- we are not merely attenders of the same church- we are family.
- Ephesians 2:19 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God,
- IF we’re going to be the church that God wants us to be- we have to care about each other- not just the pastors and deacons caring about people- you should be caring about people
Do you come to church looking and loving? During the week? Reaching out? Who is your2?
- Encouragement requires investment- I shall be next to you
- First Jonathan had to actually be paying attention- to see that there was a need- but then Jonathan had to go to his friend- Seek him out- Go to him-
- 16 Then Jonathan, Saul’s son, arose and went to David in the woods and strengthened his hand in God.
- Very easily Jonathan could have claimed that he was busy- that he wanted to please his dad- not have to get involved- because getting involved is costly- pouring out of self
- Pro 3:27 Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, When it is in the power of your hand to do so.
- His purpose was simple- to encourage David- to “strengthen his hand in God”
- He knew David was to be king- so he wanted to make sure he wouldn’t give up-
- Proverbs 25:11 A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold In settings of silver.
- How wonderful it must have been for David to look up, out in the wilderness and see his friend out of nowhere- showing up to encourage him
- Pastor Jay- Showing up at my basic training graduation- 750m each way 12 hours for 24 hrs
- That’s a friend! That’s someone you are going to be encouraged by!
- Job 2:11 READ (Jobs 3 friends coming to him)
- What does it mean to you?
- Are you investing in others in a costly way? Who are you going into the woods to look for?
- Its costly! Being an encourager isn’t easy- its hard- but the dividends are amazing.
- God wants us to be encouragers! He wants us to love on people and encourage them
- Very out of context verse-Matthew 25:40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’
- People want to use that verse to talk about orphans and homeless- its about the CHURCH
- Those who are Christs brethren are his DISCIPLES- not those who do not know him
- Hebrews 10:25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
- As a church- we need to gather to encourage one another- As much as possible
- And don’t say- I don’t need it- you need to encourage someone ELSE- I need you guys!
- But how do you do it?
- Encouragement requires Edification- I shall be next to you
- Starts with words- He spoke the words that David needed to hear
- 17 And he said to him, “Do not fear, for the hand of Saul my father shall not find you. You shall be king over Israel, and I shall be next to you. Even my father Saul knows that.”
- Jonathan reminded him of what David knew but may have forgotten- God is doing great things in your life! Things may not be good now- but they will be good- you have to BELIEVE
- Proverbs 12:25 Anxiety in the heart of man causes depression, But a good word makes it glad.
- I’m sure David was anxious- I’m sure he was distraught- from cave to stronghold
- Proverbs 16:24 Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, Sweetness to the soul and health to the bones
- When Jonathan spoke to him- it encouraged him deeply I believe-
- Do you notice how we use words to encourage- we YELL them at sport events-
- Its so intrinsic in us we yell at the TV when it does absolutely nothing-but its deep
- What happens is- people are so down on themselves- they cant see a way to encourage another
- What does it mean to you?
- Are you verbally encouraging people with your words? Spouse, kids, friends, strangers,
- 1 Thes 5:11 Therefore comfort each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing.
- This is a requirement of scripture- its who we are supposed to be- ENCOURAGING
- Christians should be the most encouraging person in the room.
- Both inside and outside the church- find ways to encourage people- find it and praise it
- You never know the life that you can change when you start thinking about other people-
- But you CANT destroy it by being a person who constantly tears others down
- (Send a message, lunch, CARE someone gone,missing from church) Who here bc of you?
- Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.
- Gossip, harsh words, coarse joking, funny talk- erodes at the foundations- shut up
- Encouragement takes commitment- I shall be next to you
- Jonathan was committed to David through it- I’m not backing out
- 18 So the two of them made a covenant before the Lord. And David stayed in the woods, and Jonathan went to his own house.
- The bible doesn’t say what the covenant was that they made- but its clear that they made a commitment to each other. A COVENANT- which a COVENANT cannot be broken
- Deuteronomy 23:23 That which has gone from your lips you shall keep and perform, for you voluntarily vowed to the Lord your God what you have promised with your mouth.
- Jonathan makes a commitment to the death- “I will not leave you” he shows
- 3 times in 2 Kings 2 Elisha says to Elijah- I will not leave you!
- Very easy for Jonathan to back out- but what good are words that when things get rough you back out? Who wants encouragement like that? Its not backed up with action
- Jonathan didn’t just come to him, speak to him, he was committed to the cause!
- What does it mean to you?
- You can’t be an encourager if you’re not committed because its merely words. COVENANT
- Words that aren’t backed up by actions are empty. When you back up your words with actions- you show people that you are committed to them- you have to stand by them through it
- Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 Two are better than one, Because they have a good reward for their labor. 10 For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, For he has no one to help him up.
- Do you waver when peoples lives get hard? Do you distance yourself from them? Or do you stay through the fight? Does your church and friends know you’re committed?
- Hebrews 6:10 For God is not unjust to forget your work and labor of love which you have shown toward His name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister.
- And its not just because of who YOU are- its because of who GOD is-
- He never leaves us- he never forsakes us. He never lets us go.
- David was able to say- Are you commmited? Are you in it for the long haul for others?
- Psalm 89:34 My covenant I will not break, Nor alter the word that has gone out of My lips.
Other sermons can be found at faithandvictory.com/sermons
FVC Facebook Page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/AuburnChurchWa/