This is our God – This is what he does
- What if you were a king and could make laws and decide how people lived? Lets say you’re a king who takes your kingdom very seriously and anyone who crosses you is going to be burned alive. Roll me with here. You’re wicked in this story- and say you made a law for people to not worship God because you thought God wasn’t real and they worshipped him anyway.
- So you decide to throw 3 guys who were worshipping God in a fire 7 times hotter than you’ve ever made a fire, and you look in there and they are joined by an angel and they live?
- How do you think that would change the way you viewed God? Who would he be to you?
- Nebuchadnezzar was a real historical figure. He was a king of Babylon who ruled from 605 BC to 562 BC and is known in many ancient texts and writings outside the Bible.
- He is found in the writings of ancient greeks, ancient inscriptions, and clay tablets of antiquity.
- He was known as a strong military leader. He captured Jerusalem, Built the hanging gardens of Babylon. He is remembered as being very cruel. God tormented him with dreams and visions, was struck with mental illness and lived like an animal for years and eventually gained his sanity.
- Nebuchadnezzar was moved by everything he saw and went through that he wanted everyone around him to know about YHWH and what had happened to him. This is what he said-
- Daniel 4:1 Nebuchadnezzar the king, To all peoples, nations, and languages that dwell in all the earth: Peace be multiplied to you. 2 I thought it good to declare the signs and wonders that the Most High God has worked for me. 3 How great are His signs, And how mighty His wonders! His kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, And His dominion is from generation to generation.
- Nebuchadnezzar was changed because he witnessed the supernatural unexplainable signs wonders and miracles of a real and living God and he couldn’t deny it.
- He couldn’t pretend it wasn’t real and he wanted everyone to know about it.
1. We live in a time where many people don’t believe in the biblical supernatural.
- They believe in a god. They believe that he probably did some miracles a long time ago. They say they believe in thoughts and prayers. They want to see miracles.
- But for some reason, through poor hermeneutics, they think that somehow the God of creation, miracles, signs, wonders and angels is just sitting in the Heavens letting us trudge through this earth on our own. That everything powerful, miraculous, signs, wonders and gifts are done
- I don’t believe it. I believe in the Supernatural do whatever he wants God of the Bible.
- Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
- Malachi 3:6 “For I am the Lord, I do not change; James 1:17 with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. Rev 1:8 “WHO IS, WHO WAS, WHO IS TO COME, the Almighty.” Nu 23:19 God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?
- Isaiah 40:8 the word of our God will stand forever.
- The Bible says- Romans 15:4 For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.
- And a life devoid of the specific supernatural intervention of our Creator is hopeless to me
- Why pray? Why hope? Why expect great things that God will do? Why record it in scripture as if to say “that was then but this is now”? Why leave us with no encouragement or interaction?
- If he’s not actively active right now we have a historical faith that is looking back.
- No expectant hope that looks forward to a demonstratively unbelievable miraculous end with rapture, destruction, new heaven and earth, lake of fire and glass and all manner of craziness of Revelation. Where Jesus said “with you always” ‘never leave you’. He does not move today
- Maybe its a ho-hum current existence where God just leaves us alone with a book to read
- Or maybe Jesus is the one who WAS who IS and IS TO COME
- What he DID and what he will DO means what he will DO NOW in YOUR LIFE
- Can we take God at his word? He saved us from our sins and guarantees us an eternal inheritance with HIM in a real city, with real buildings and real God- He still acts TODAY
- Can we trust the hermeneutic I taught you last week that talked about how to properly interpret the bible? Let the word of God be true and every man a liar?
- God does not change, Miracles happened in the Bible, History, and past 2k years, who is our God? What does the WHOLE bible show? Whats the frequency? How clear is it? How common?
2. Why do people not believe and teach?
- One- They don’t read their Bible. If the Bible was the main source of your doctrine and practice you couldn’t hide from all of the scriptures about the demonstrative miraculous things of God
- Two- They have seen abuse and fabrication. Misuse and abuse do not equal disuse.
- Three- The weird weirds them out. Afraid of what happens and what may happen. They want control and predictability. They are afraid to pastor it. Tell people to stop.
- Four- They have been taught erroneously with little to no biblical authority on poor hermeneutics that miracles, signs, wonders and gifts have ceased.
- Five. They don’t understand the Holy Spirit according to the scriptures
- Six- They demand evidence of proof before they believe because they have never seen it. Jesus said “unless you see signs and wonders you will never believe” and he Also said “Blessed are those who believe without seeing” – you can agree and believe and not see! TAKE HIS WORD
- Why Does it even matter? Can’t we just read the book, follow the rules, and wait to die?
- One- What the bible talks about a lot is probably important to faith and practice
- Two. I need God in my life. I can’t live this life on my own. I don’t have what it takes
- Three. I want to walk in the spirit and I can’t do that without the Holy Spirit
- Four– There are only somethings that God can fix and we need him to. (CRYSTAL HEALING)
- Five- We don’t want to miss God. The Holy Spirit is God. Its not temporary wind.
- But I saw this guy on the internet that said that God doesn’t do miracles and the gifts aren’t for today! He wrote a book! He had a conference! He has lots of followers! I haven’t seen it
- Here’s what Paul Said- 1 cor 2:4 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
- Here’s what I know- There will always come a time in your life where only God can do it. You need a healing, a spirit to lift, a problem to be fixed, a hear to be changed, a relationship restored. You need God to supernaturally change the weather, get you a job, give you the strength, tell you what to do, guide you into truth. BUT HOW? IS IT ON YOU? YOUR STRENGTH?
- Were you intended to muster up hope on your own? Fix your own life? Make your own way?
- To be filled with despair and a need, with no chance for a supernatural intervention of GOD
- Imagine if you will- A sick child. Broken marriage. Financial difficulty. DESPAIR with no hope?
3. Here’s what our church fathers said- (remember we’re part of a whole-part of history)
Origen (c. 184–c. 253) “Therefore, since many miracles were wrought by the word of the Lord Jesus, which were witnessed by those who followed Him, it is necessary that those also who have been called by Him, should exhibit not less a testimony of the truth, but greater, on account of the men who have believed through them.” Justin Martyr (mid-2nd century): “For the prophetic gifts remain with us, even to the present time. And hence you ought to understand that [the gifts] formerly among your nation have been transferred to us… For the prophetic gifts are not extinct among them even now” (Dialogue with Trypho, Chapter 82). Tertullian (late 2nd-early 3rd century): “The Holy Spirit is the Inspirer of prophecy, the Teacher of knowledge, and the Guide of the way of life” (Against Praxeas, Chapter 15).Athanasius of Alexandria (4th century): “The Holy Spirit, who spoke through the prophets of old, continues to speak through the Church today… And if any man has ears to hear, let him hear what the Spirit is saying to the churches” (Letter to Dracontius).Matthew Henry (reformed presbyterian) 1700s: “We must not limit the Holy One of Israel, nor think that the Spirit of prophecy is confined to the first ages of the church, or to the apostles of our Lord, but acknowledge the continued agency of the blessed Spirit in giving gifts to men and causing them to speak with tongues, and interpret, and prophesy.” (From his commentary on 1 Corinthians 14:39) Charles Spurgeon (reformed Baptist): “There is no reason why, in the present day, we should not see as much of the Spirit’s power as the apostles saw. God has not changed, nor has the Holy Spirit lost any of His power, but we have changed in our attitude toward Him.” (From his sermon “The Holy Ghost—The Great Teacher,” 1876) Martin Luther: God has bestowed the power of working miracles upon His church. For since the church cannot be destroyed, it retains this power, even though it makes no use of it.” (From “The Babylonian Captivity of the Church,” 1520) John Wesley: “It is undeniably clear that the whole Christian church for the first three centuries did thus believe [in the continuation of spiritual gifts], did believe that the gifts of the Holy Ghost were to continue till the restitution of all things” (From his sermon “The More Excellent Way,” 1784) Billy Graham; “God is the same today as He was in Bible times and has not changed. His power to perform miracles is just as great today as it was then. Miracles happen every day, not only in remote, poverty-stricken places, but also in the affluent society in which we live.” (From his book “Angels: God’s Secret Agents,” 1975)
4. This is our God- This is what he does
Old testament- Creation (Gen 1), Worldwide Flood (Gen 7-8), Tower of Bable (Gen 11), Sodomites blinded (Gen 19), Sodom destroyed (Gen 19) Lot’s wife turned to salt (Gen 19), Isaac conceived by Sarah (Gen 21) Burning Bush (Ex 3) Moses rod into serpent (Ex 4) Moses hand made leprous (ex 4) Aaron rod into serpent (Ex 7) Ten Plagues of Egypt (Ex 8-12) Pillar of Cloud and Fire (Ex 13) Red Sea Parted (Ex 14) Bitter water sweetened (Ex 15) Manna from Heaven (Ex 16) Water from the rock (Ex 17) Amalek Defeated (Ex 17) Fire On Aarons Sacrifice (lev 9) Miriams Leprosy (Num 12) Earth Opens and swallows Korah (Num 16) 250 men consumed by fire (Num 16) Water from Rock (Num 20) Balaam Donkey Speaks (Num 22) Jordan River divided (Josh 3) Fall of Jericho (Josh 6) Sun and Moon stand still (Josh 10) Gideons Fleece (Judges 6) Angel in Flame (Ju 13) Lion Slain by Samson (Ju 14) Dagons house pulled down by Samson (Ju 16) Dagon fall before the Ark (1 Sam5) Rain during harvest (1 Sam 12) Drought of Elijah (1 Ki 17) Elijah fed by Ravens (1 Ki 17) Widows oil increased (1 ki 17) Sacrifice consumed by fire (1 Ki 18) Jordan river divided again (2 Ki 2) Elijah translated to heaven in chariot of fire (2 Ki 2) Jonah preserved in Belly of Whale (Jo 2) 3 men delivered from Firey Furnace (Dan 3) Daniel Delivered from Lions Den (Dan 6)New Testament- Virgin Birth (Mt 1) Water to Wine (Jn 2) Officers Son healed (John 4)Demoniac Healed (Mk 1) Peter Mother in law Healed (Mt 8) Sick healed (Mt 8) Many Fish Caught (Lk 5)Leper cleansed (mt 8) paralytic healed (Mt 9)Servant healed (mt 8)Widows son raised from Dead (lk 7)Storm Calmed (mt 8) Demon possessed healed (Mt 8) Woman with issue of blood healed (Mt 9) Jarius daughter raised from dead (Mt 9) Blind men cured (mt 9) 5000 fed (mt 14) Walk on Water (mk 6) Deaf and mute speak (mk 7) Mass healings (Mk 6) 4000 fed (mt 15) Christ Transfigured (mt 17) Money in mouth of fish (mt 17) MIRACLES BY THE 70 (lk 10) Infirmity cured, Dropsy cured, lepers cleansed, Lazarus raised from dead, bartimaues healed , fig tree cursed, severed ear healed, Christ resurrected, dead walk the street, Jesus appears to his disciples after his resurrection, The holy Spirit is poured out, lame man cured by Peter, Ananias and Sapphira made dead, Sick healed by peter, Apostles freed from Prison by angles, Stephen performs miracles, Stephen sees Christ, Philip cast out unclean spirit, ananias vision, Paul’s sight restored, palsy healed, Dorcas restored to life, Cornelius has a vision, peter has a vision, Agabus prophesies, peter released from Prison, Lame man cured, Paul has a vision, Earthquake frees from prison, People speak in tongues, paul does special miracles, Eutychus restored to life, Paul unharmed by Viper bite, John has Vision on patmos
5. The Bible is a story filled with Angels that did powerful things
Angels in the Garden (Gen 3), Angels at Sodom (Gen 19), Angels shut the door, Spoke to Lot, Told them to run (Gen 19) Were on Jacobs ladder and met with him (Gen 28)Angels present at the giving of the law (Dt 23) In the book of Job, David said there were thousands of Angels (Psalm 68) Men ate angel food (Ps 78) Angels praise (Ps 89) Angels watch over us (Ps 91) Angels have strength and do the commandments of God and his word (ps 103) Angels are ministers (psa 104) Angels rebuke Israel (ju 2) Cursed the enemies of the Lord (ju 5) Elijah strengthen by an angel and killed the assyrians (1 Ki 19) A chief angel Ministered to Daniel (Da 10) Zechariah said angels would come (Ze 14) Angels ministered to Jesus (Mt 4) Angel announced the arrival of Jesus, Angels will reap souls (Mt 13) Jesus will send his angels to sever the wicked from the Just (mt 13) Jesus will come in glory with his angels (mt 13) Angels watch over us (mt 18) We become like angels (mt 22) The angels will gather the elect (mt 24) Jesus said he could have called 12 legions of angels at his crucifixtion (mt 26) we are spectacles to angels book of Acts begins with two angels – men dressed in white – appearing beside the disciples at the ascension of Christ and promising them His return (Acts 1:10-11).acts 5, angels broke the apostles out of jail. Stephen referred to angels four times in his sermon in Acts 7 Acts 8:26, an angel of the Lord appeared to Philip and told him to go down to the road to Gaza to meet the Ethiopian eunuch. In Acts 10, an angel appeared to a centurion in Caesarea named Cornelius and told him to send for Peter. (1 cor 4) we will judge angels (1 cor 6) We can speak in tongues of men and angels (1 cor 13) The law was ordained through angels (gal 3) Paul charged timothy in the prescence of angels (1 tim 5) Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers- you could entertain angels (heb 13) and then reference after reference in revelation
6. Church Fathers on Angels
Angels- Clement of Rome (late 1st century): Let us be imitators also of those who conversed with angels” (1 Clement 46:5). Origen (3rd century): “For some of the angels are assigned to guard individual human beings; others, nations… and still others, the elements. And they are distributed, not only according to those who are now living, but also according to those who lived before, and according to those who are yet to live in the future” (Commentary on Matthew 16:10). Augustine of Hippo (4th-5th century): “The angels are always near to those who possess a sincere love of God, and who live in the exercise of that love; they are also near to those who do not possess it, in order that they may excite them to its attainment” (City of God 10.21).Martin Luther: “We know that the angels are our guardians and protectors; that they bear us up in their hands, so that neither the devil nor any wickedness can hurt us; and that, whenever it is God’s will, they help and assist us in body as well as in soul” (Table Talk). John Calvin: “But if angels have so much care for us, we must be doubly careful not to despise that which has been entrusted to us in charge. (Commentary on Psalm 91:11-12). John Wesley: “May we not reasonably believe that it is by the ministry of angels that some of our warnings are given us, and that there is an intercourse between earth and heaven?” (Sermon 72, “The Means of Grace”). Charles Spurgeon: “The angels are God’s own sacred messengers, whom he sends forth to minister to his people. Oh, how sweet it is to believe that our guardian angel is always near us, unseen but always at hand!” (Sermon 3525, “Our Guardian Angel”).
7. The Bible is a story filled with Wonders
God said he would show wonders to Egypt (ex 3) Told Moses to do wonders (ex 4), God said he would multiply his wonders (ex 7 and 11) Moses and Aaron did wonders before Pharoah (Ex 11) God is doing wonders (ex 15) Israel is a nation of Signs and wonders (dt 4) Reminded of wonders (dt 6) Promises more signs and wonders (dt 7:19) Joshua promised Israel they would see wonders (Js 3) Told to remember his wonders and to declare his wonders among the nations (1 Ch 16) Job says he does wonders without numbers (Job 9) David remembered his wonders and declared he was the God that DOES wonders (Ps 77) Isaiah said he was FOR signs and wonders (Is 8) Jeremiah said signs and wonders were among others than Israel that made his name (jer 32) Daniel Said he works signs and wonders (Dan 6) Joel prophesied that God would show wonders in the heavens and the earth (Jo 2) As in the days of Egypt God will show wonders (Micah 7) Jesus did signs and wonders in the Gospels. God will show signs and wonders in (acts 2) Signs and wonders done through the apostles (Acts 2) Signs and wonders prayed through the name of Jesus (Acts 4) Many signs and wonders done through the apostles among the people (acts 5) Stephen did great signs and wonders (Acts 6) Paul said he did signs and wonders (ro 15) He accomplished signs and wonders (2co 12)
8. We have a New and better covenant
- Hebrews 8:6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises.
- If it’s a BETTER covenant, why would it be less miraculous? It went from temple to HEART
- God promised to be WITH US- Dt 4:31 He will not forsake you nor destroy you, nor forget the covenant of your fathers which He swore to them. Gen 28:15 for I will not leave you until I have done what I have spoken to you.”
- Now we have Holy Spirt WHO IS GOD living inside of US
- 1 Co 3:16 you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you Ez 36:27 I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes 2 Ti 1:14 the Holy Spirit who dwells in us.Eph5:18 but be filled with the Spirit, Ro 8:11 the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you
9. So what do we do with it?
- Take God at his word! He’s a supernatural God- Let him be! Believe that he can and will!
- Lean into looking for stuff in your Bible reading and appropriate the promises of God
- Enlightenment ruined it. This is not an empirical scientific faith. ITS FAITH not sci method!
- If you don’t want them- Tell God- Say “Do not do miracles in my life. No wonders. No signs. No angels. No tongues. No gifts. Please don’t. Leave me to myself and I’ll figure it out”
- Remember the beginning of the Sermon? Nebuchadnezzer? He saw God move and he couldn’t deny it. He had to tell everyone what God had done.
- A fire 7 times hotter that couldn’t consume where he saw a Real God do real things
- I believe that people want a real God that Does real things and you can miss it. By not believing that God can do the supernatural. That he still doesn’t move. PRAY- Healing, miracles, Wonders
- Is not salvation supernatural? Heart change? Deliverance? Is our hope of rescue and a new heaven and new earth? That a sovereign God is directing the affairs of men?
- Believe it and walk in it! Ask for forgiveness from the Lord if you have spoke against it.
- “blessed is he who believes without seeing” Its not on you. Its on HIM. BELIEVE IT
For more sermons please visit our SERMON PAGE
Please subscribe to our YOUTUBE PAGE