Matthew 20:17 -19
How many times do you have to tell someone something before they get it and understand it
This is the third time Jesus predicts his resurrection- Its specific and has a specific goal in mind
- God has a specific plan
- As we enter into this story with Jesus- we are seeing the language of the crucifixion, death burial and resurrection into the story
- This is God’s plan. This is a plan that he laid out to redeem all of humanity from the pains of sin
- This goes all the way back to Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity Between you and the woman, And between your seed and her Seed; He shall bruise your head, And you shall bruise His heel.”
- Theologians call Genesis 3:15 the protoevangelium (or first gospel) because these words spoken by God contain the first promise of redemption in the Bible, and hint at the incarnation, crucifixion and resurrection of Christ. Ge 3:15 contains the first prophecy of Christ’s coming.
- Immediately after the sin of Adam and Eve- God prophecies that there will be a redemption- That there will be a battle between the seed of Satan and the seed of the woman. That Jesus will be bruised for our iniquities, but Satan will eventually be defeated by a blow to the head
- So when Jesus is talking to his disciples about his death, burial and resurrection, it matters
- It’s a prophetic utterance to explain to the disciples ahead of time, so they will be ok.
- This is the central event of our Christianity. It is the focus of our faith and the hope of our inheritance. If you don’t understand, believe and put faith in the resurrected Jesus- not saved
- Think about this-
- First- The 12 disciples- its not arbitrary that Jesus chose 12 disciples- perfection and authority- Twelve months in a year. Twelve tribes of Israel [Genesis 49:28]. Twelve pillars were erected at Mt. Sinai [Exodus 24:4]. Twelve pillars were erected in the Promised Land [Joshua 4:1-9]. Twelve statues of oxen held up the water basin in Solomon’s Temple [1 Kings 7:25]. Twelve men were selected by God to conduct the census of the tribes [Numbers 1:2-16]. Twelve princes of Israel brought gifts to the Sanctuary on twelve days [Numbers 7:10-83]. Twelve spies sent to reconnoiter Canaan [Numbers 13:1-15]. Jesus is twelve years old when He questions the scholars in the Temple [Luke 2:41]. Twelve legions of angels [Matthew 26:53]. Twelve Apostles [Matthew 10:2-4; Mark 3:13-19; Luke 6:13]. 144,000 servants of God (12 times 12) [Revelation 7:4]. Twelve gates of the New Jerusalem [Revelation 21:12]. Twelve foundations of the New Jerusalem [Revelation 21:16, 17].The Trees of Life in the new creation will bear twelve kinds of fruits [Revelation 22:2].The high priest’s breastplate had 12 precious stones embedded within them. a woman who had suffered from a blood hemorrhage for 12 years (Luke 8:40).There are 12 Minor Prophets in the Old Testament. There are 12 historical books in the Bible: Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 Sam, 2 Sam, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, 1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, and Esther. There were 12 loaves of permanent offerings on the golden table (Lev 24:5).Solomon had 12 administrators in his kingdom (1 Kings 4:7).There were 12 men who laid 12 stones in building a monument to the Lord (Joshua 4:3).The Book of Chronicles contained 12 great priests. Twelve curses were indicated for disobedience to Israel (Duet 27).A young Israelite male took 12 years before he could be admitted as a “son of the law.” There were the 12 sacrifices of animals that were to be given (Numb 7, 29). The dimensions and description given of the New Jerusalem in the Bible has multiples of the number 12. The wall of the city has 12 foundations and the names of the 12 apostles. The city measured 12,000 furlongs and the wall was 144 cubits, which is 12 x 12. The number 12 is symbolic of God’s spiritual kingdom, both in heaven and on earth, when the earth and heavens will be created anew.
Second- The Death Burial and resurrection-
Ps. 41 foreshadowed the betrayal of Jesus John 13:18, Isa. 53:1-4 He would be rejected Matt. 27:21-23 Dan. 9:24-26 Daniel predicted when he would be rejected Matt. 16:21; 21:38-39, Ps. 22:6 Messiah would be despised Luke 23:21-23, Isa. 53:7 He would be oppressed Matt. 27:27-31,Isa. 53:7 He would be silent before his accusers Matt. 27:12-14,Ps. 22:7 Messiah would be mocked by people shaking their heads Matt. 27:39,Isa. 50:6,7 He would be beaten and spat upon Matt. 26:67,Isa. 50:6,7 He would be spat upon Matt. 27:30,Ps. 35:19 He would be hated without reason John 15:25,Ps. 69:4 He would be hated without cause John 15:25, Ps. 69:8 He would become a stranger to his own brothers Luke 8:20-21, Isa. 53:12 He would be ‘numbered with the transgressors’ Luke 23:32,40,Ps. 22:16 His hands and feet would be pierced John 19:37, 20:27, Ps. 22:15 His suffering would include thirst John 19:28, Isa. 53:12
He would intercede for sinners Luke 23:34, Ps. 22:1 He would be forsaken Matt. 27:46, Ps. 22:1 He would cry out to God Matt. 27:46,Ps. 22:8His faith in God would be mocked Matt. 27:43, Ps. 22:17-18 He would be stripped of his clothing Luke 23:34-35 47
- God knows exactly what he is doing and he is exacting a perfect plan to bring about his Glory
- You might ask, why? Why this process, why the thousands of years of history.
- Genesis 1 says God made us to reflect his image, take dominion over the earth, and populate it
- We, as people of God, are able to learn about him, learn to glorify him, and then spend eternity with him. We don’t get a new consciousness in Heaven- we get a new body- we are here to learn to be conformed to the image and likeness of Jesus so we can worship and live with God for eternity- worshipping God in the new Jerusalem as the Church of the Living God.
- And what God does here is specific. There are specifics that God has created.
- He created you- your body- specifically. It’s a marvel of nature. Animals, specifically. The planets and the moons, and the cycles and the tides and the way food grows and water flows and weather happens. Its specific. God knows what he is doing. I came out tall
- None of it was created by chance. Impossible.
- Professor Francis Crick, awarded the Nobel Prize for the discovery of DNA, wrote: An honest man, armed with all the knowledge available to us now, could only state that in some sense, the origin of life appears at the moment to be almost a miracle, so many are the conditions which would have had to have been satisfied to get it going.
- Ilya Prigogine, chemist-physicist, recipient of two Nobel Prizes in chemistry, wrote: “The statistical probability that organic structures and the most precisely harmonized reactions that typify living organisms would be generated by accident, is zero.”
- Zero- Even men of the world at some point have to agree in the mathematical probability .
- Some scientists say 20 sextillion planets exist in the universe- 1 Sextillion = 1000000000000 Billion (one with 12 zeros after it) . That’s an unfathomable number. It’s a stupid number.
- Every organism that we see and the complexities it took to create it- impossible to be chance.
- What does it mean to you
- Stop worrying about everything and focus on Worshipping and Serving the Lord Jesus.
- Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.
- Do you not believe that the God of this universe can take care of all the details of your irrelevant miniscule existence? He’s on it. He knows what is Going on- He’s working on HIS plan- not YOURS- We have free will that works in concert with his divine will- but its on HIM
- So much of what we consume ourselves with is cosmically insignificant outside of God’s plan
- Nothing that any one of us accomplish besides getting people to Heaven to give God more Glory has any eternal significance. Where we live, what we buy, what we do for work, what we order on a menu, the phone we buy or the investment plan we have.
- We are followers of the most High God, our job is to submit and follow his lead. YES he can use all of those seemingly insignificant things- if we allow him- to bring HIM glory and get MORE people in heaven, and THAT’S the primary Goal- JC didn’t say- I’m leaving, build a society.
- Proverbs 16:9 A man’s heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps.
- Deuteronomy 31:8 And the Lord, He is the One who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear nor be dismayed.”
- So Quit worrying so much. Quit being so concerned- The very hairs on your head are numbered. You cannot add one day to your life by worrying. Trust God and his specific plan-
- Jesus told his disciples this to comfort them- let them comfort you as well today.
- Be prepared- The Coming Judgment and resurrection are real.
- Jesus was preparing his disciples for his death burial and resurrection, we do not have to be prepared for that. That has already happened. We need to be prepared for the coming judgment, the end of all things and the return of Jesus Christ.
- In the same way that Jesus was spot on with his prophecy as were many other Bible prophecies that came true- the ones of the future are going to come true as well.
- One of the greatest mistakes that Christians make is a focus on the ‘right now’ serving of Jesus Christ- They have no preparation or expectation for the future things that will happen.
- There is a coming Judgment- you Read Matt 24. It is going to be terrible for those not in Christ
- Even before the end of everything- things are going to get much worse-
- 2 Peter 3:3-4 knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, 4 and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation.”
- Scoffer- noun. a person who mocks or makes fun of someone or something, often of religion or moral values:
- This is already happening- They laugh at how we give up our lives to serve Jesus, how we give him our time and money. We submit to the Lord and his church. Our families, how we live our lives. What we believe. They call us names, label us and put is into political demographics
- Scoffers- Saying I’m phobic of this and that- I’m not phobic of anything but the Lord!
- This is Jesus Matthew 25:41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
- That scares me! That gives me fear! Why? Because I want to make heaven! I want to be in Jesus- and this in no way means I don’t have assurance of my faith! I have completely assurance of my faith, what I don’t have is complete faith in MYSELF and my FLESH
- This is true- 1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons,
- You should think about that! None of us are immune from it! There are famous pastors and worship leaders that publicly deconstruct their faith- but there’s people that do it here!
- Slow drifting to a complete disregard- Guy who used to attend moved overseas “things have changed for us- I don’t believe what I used to believe”
- Luke 21:36 Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man.”
- This world is doing everything that it can to convince you to think otherwise than in line with the word of God-
- Take advertising- Normalizing all kinds of sin- Corporations- validating sin- paying for abort etc
- They say- “its not sin- its normal, this life is about you and your desires, give into them, we’ll celebrate you- you only have one life to live- live it to yourself and your flesh- you’ll be happy”
- Mark 13:32 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.
- 2 Thessalonians 1:7-9 and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, 8 in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,
- That’s real. As real as it gets- you do not want to go into the fiery furnace where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth- avoid it!
- How? Faith in the death burial and resurrection of Jesus!
- John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
- This belief in Jesus is all encompassing- It’s the belief in who he said he was- messiah and king. What he did- went to the cross on our behalf- And what he will do- return as our coming king!
- Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Jesus came to take away the sins of the world- and our faith in what he did saves us from the wages of our sin! We are SAVED from our sin because of what Jesus did!
- Because of his death, burial and resurrection- he PROVED he was God and Saved us from SIN
- And what do we get? Eternal life now- and in our own death and resurrection
John 17:3 And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. John 5:24 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life. 1 John 2:25 And this is the promise that He has promised us—eternal life.
- There is a judgment coming, but we escape it through Faith in Jesus Christ
- John 3:17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
- If you’re a believer in Jesus- You should read the Bible, see the prophecies and rejoice in those that have been fulfilled and have excitement about those that haven’t yet been fulfilled.
- Maybe we will see the return of Christ- quite possible based on current events, be ready
- But us SEEING it doesn’t change that it WILL happen- Maybe to your children or grandchildren
- But you WILL die- you will. And you need to be prepared for that as well- that you can hold on to eternal life after death even if you don’t see the arrival of the savior.
- You don’t have to live in fear if you are walking with Jesus- it is all going to be OK
- What do we do?
- 1 Timothy 6:12 7-18 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
- This fight for our souls is a fight worth fighting. It’s the battle worth engaging.
- It’s a fight towards our flesh and a fight against the flesh- it’s a battle for the culture and with the culture.
- It’s a reason to defend what we believe, cherish what we love and give it all to Jesus.
- It’s a reason to defend what we do as a church and what we do with our families
- It a reason to teach and encourage our kids in the things of the Lord. To raise them right
- It’s a reason to separate from the world- and not be like them
- It’s a reason to reach out to those who will not make heaven without Jesus-
For more sermons please visit our SERMON PAGE
Please subscribe to our YOUTUBE PAGE