Luke 8:3 From Their Substance
- ASK- Leave this week and pray and ask God what he would have you sacrifice for 36mos
- Now becomes the day when we talk about money because money is the means by which we are going to pay down the building to reach more for God’s glory- because it costs money.
- You would think when a church says “lets pay off the building for God” that it wouldn’t create so many questions, but man- it sure does. It shouldn’t. But it does. THIS WILL GROW US
- If I said- “we’re having an old sock drive to rid our house of socks” some people would lose it
- This is what this message is about- I want you to realize that any money you give to God is something you should want to do because its for His Glory and the furtherance of His kingdom.
- Zech 7: 5 “Say to all the people of the land, and to the priests: ‘When you fasted and mourned in the fifth and seventh months during those seventy years, did you really fast for Me—for Me? 6 When you eat and when you drink, do you not eat and drink for yourselves?
- That was about Israel, the messianic kingdom, the new Jerusalem, but the heart behind it is this- why do you do what you do? Why do we even have church?
- Do you give money to get money? Go to church to have friends? Is it for YOU or HIM
- I never want to start a message with an apology- but I need your grace this morning– This is a fair biblical message- but because of the relentless grumbling and complaining from people in churches forever about money- anytime a pastor talks about money its uncomfortable-
- It shouldn’t be- but people go from the nice people to something completely different when it comes to money- Leave churches, attack pastors, churches, ministries over money.
- My kids always ask for money– I still love them. So do their sports teams, college high school, hospitals, political campaigns, missionaries, non-profits etc But I don’t get upset about it
- An advertiser can change your heart to make you want to buy their junk, but you give in to gain the adoration of men- and a preacher talks about your money and you want to attack the man of God who is trying to get you to do big things for Jesus and his church. You still watch TV?
- And if a preacher is taking advantage of you- He’ll go to Hell for it. Phil 1
- I’m not sure you know how a non-profit works. The profits go to Jesus- not to individuals
- “I totally trusted him until he started talking about my money” Who’s money is it exactly?
- I don’t own this building. No person owns the building. The organization does.
- 1 Chron 29 16 “O Lord our God, all this abundance that we have prepared to build You a house for Your holy name is from Your hand, and is all Your own. 17 I know also, my God, that You test the heart and have pleasure in uprightness. As for me, in the uprightness of my heart I have willingly offered all these things; and now with joy I have seen Your people, who are present here to offer willingly to You.
- I’m not trying to coerce you- I want you to get it down in your spirit so you can give willingly
- Not trying to Guilt you, shame you, manipulate you, You’ll notice- every week I challenge you
- It is actually not even a huge number- if everyone would tithe and sacrifice- One year. ONE
- Everyone is in a different financial situation- but God’s word gives no provision for those who manage their money inefficiently to be exempt from the support of the Lords house
- Talking about money is only uncomfortable for people who Love their money more than God. Don’t tithe. Aren’t generous. Are ruled by Money. Aren’t saved. Want stuff they don’t need
- Matthew 6:24 [ You Cannot Serve God and Riches ] “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.
- Last week I asked you if you were saved. If you wanted to give God glory. Doing big things for God gives him Glory. Sacrifice, giving, serving, loving gives him Glory.
- Maybe you’ll give money to an individual because You want their praise and accolades- but you can’t see God- so you have difficulty when you give because you don’t see it.
- Its one of the greatest stretches of faith– Does God see my giving and will he take care of me?
- Every week we say- The Lord doesn’t want your money- he wants your soul- and that’s true- God doesn’t want your soul to get to your money- but once he has your soul- he Gets more than your money- He gets everything- (You made a covenant with Heaven- You’re owned 100%)
- This isn’t a message about tithing- giving 10% of your income- you should do that- and for some of you- you wont sacrifice because you don’t tithe. You know you need to- Its no longer an issue of you understanding it- its about you having an issue of agreeing with it. If you started tithing it would change your life. Make a decision to start tithing- see what happens
- This isn’t a message about giving to missions- which you should do. Missions changes lives
- This isn’t a message about giving money to the poor- which you should- its biblical
- This isn’t a message about taking care of your family with your money- because you should
- This is a message about you wanting to open your hand to bless his church for HIS Glory
- How has your life changed in this church? Do you worship God more? Do you live differently? You’re giving God glory with your life.
- These messages have built off each other- Who we are as a church, Why a church, Why Give God glory. But Now- I want to talk about money today for you to pray this week before next
- The issues of the heart now- are no different than then- people want their money to do what they want. (The Bible hasn’t changed- God doesn’t like debt for his people)
- Crystal and I have committed to double our tithe for 36 mos. Above missions and offerings
- Im not grandstanding- Same as 1 chron 29. I’m leading- Not asking you to do what I’m not
- Money pays your bills, but it also plans for your future. Its recreation. Its stuff. Its experiences.
- It destroys relationships. It creates them. It affects lives.
- All of you think about and talk about money and so when the church asks for you to pray about sacrificing, you start to think about all the reasons you shouldn’t. Somehow starts with me?
- The bottom line is that we love our money. We want as much as we can get of it. (Security)
- Here’s some truths about FVC- We’ve never had a month where we didn’t make our bills in 16 years. The only Debt we’ve ever had is this building. Owe 1.2 10k a mo. We pay extra- 100k bank
- Somethings that you may not notice- we never take up offerings to take care of stuff around the church- maybe you haven’t seen that before. We never take up an offering on Wednesdays, we only charge for tshirts and retreats. We talk about money the least I’ve seen in any church I’ve ever been in. When people ask for money and then post on fb recreating with the money?
- we don’t own this building. The church does. Someone else will lead it eventually. It will endure
- Here’s where you and I may differ– I’m never planning on leaving this church- so investing in its legacy is a no-brainer- (Short timers syndrome in the military- from toothbrush to Clorox )
- I’ve easily given over 150k over the past 28 years in tithes, offerings, and missions.
- My retirement account has 30k. Finally started one when I turned 40. And even now the worlds wisdom would say for me to use this money to send my kids to college- nope- green river. Or get a better house, or upgrade my 13 year old car. But that’s not what I want out of my life. Its not what I value. I want to glorify God more than anything else in my life. I owe 220 on my house
- God has taken care of me up to this point, and I believe he will take care of me until his return.
We should lay up our treasures in heaven
- Matt 6:19 -20 Where your treasure is- there your heart will be
- It’s the most difficult thing to fully submit to God- It’s a full act of the will- to submit
- Its anti-American- Best house, car, college, retirement, stuff, TV, Phones, vacations
- I’ve often thought that there are things I will just never see, but now- we live with this instagram expectation of walking on the great wall of china- Is that what its about?
- Because if what Jesus said is true- I want true riches- not the worlds riches
- Acts 4 describes the earliest disciples giving up everything for the Gospel- High bar set!
- Repeated scriptures challenge us to put no faith in this world, in our selves, in anyone or anything, but money holds the last part of our hearts- we treasure it! If it had no value to us it would be easy. (Guy coming and asking for a rock from my yard)
- Heb 13:5, 1 John2:15-16, James 1:5-3, Luke 12:21, Proverbs 23:4-5, 1 Tim 6:8-10, Zeph 1:18, Ecc 5:10-14
We should be a generous church
- Phil 4:15 Now you Philippians know also that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church shared with me concerning giving and receiving but you only.
- Much of that chapter deals directly with monetary support of Paul for the furtherance of the Gospel- And some churches didn’t step up. Just the philipian church. Let that be US
- I don’t care what anyone else is doing or what anyone else has done- Let it not be said of US
- Our works follow us: Rev 14: 12-13
- If everyone in the church tithed- our giving would double and then some.
- 14k to build a church. 10k to build a house. 50k To support a church planter- All possible
- But when we live on the edge of the budget- Its difficult (Ong gave us 10k to get us in here)
- I don’t think you understand- All the couples only work for the church. I don’t know anyone else who does this. We do it for the church. Crystal, Aubrey, Brittney, all could get other jobs
- But they have all forsook it all for the furtherance of the Gospel- Real Talk
- No Debt breaks open the doors of generosity- Same as us- you’re in debt- hard to be generous
- 2 Corinthians 11:8 I robbed other churches, taking wages from them to minister to you.
I want to help Jesus reach people
- Luke 8: 1-3
- This was one of the most surprising verses I found this week- The narrative of many people is that Jesus didn’t have money, or use money- but Judas was the keeper of the money
- And here we find again- People used their money to support the work of Jesus on this Earth
- Ministry takes money- It took money back then- it takes money now- Jesus could have just kept on woodworking and preaching when he had time- but Those around him saw VALUE in helping
- Friend in Oregon “why do you nickel and dime so much”… “so we can give more”
I want to give God my best
Mal 1:7 -8 I want to give God my best. Not my leftovers. I will not offer to the Lord that which costs me nothing. I wont do it. He’s worth everything to me. He can have everything.
ASK- Leave this week and pray and ask God what he would have you sacrifice for 36mos
More sermons can be found on our SERMONS PAGE
Please subscribe to our YOUTUBE PAGE