Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | RSS | More
What is going on-
This is the Gethsamene story- Jesus is in the garden, just about to go to final end and he’s distraught. He’s overcome with emotion. HE’s praying. He’s asking his disciples to keep spiritual watch. The human side of Jesus shows through this story. HE accepts the mission. He agrees and moves forward.
- Everyone Struggles
In this story- Jesus is having a cosmic struggle- I know what I need to do- but I don’t want to
“take this cup from me” he says in v 36. This cup is the cup of God’s wrath, that would rest upon Jesus as he takes the sin of the whole word on his shoulders
This is a huge part- All the sins of the world on him. The burden. The pain. The remorse. Every bad thing past present and future placed upon Jesus
This is God’s cosmic plan for redemption- Jesus taking the sins of humanity and everyone forgiven forever- and here’s the human side of Jesus saying “is there any other way”
These are some of the most encouraging verses to someone in their life who has ever struggled with doing the right thing
“The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Jesus says in v 38
Who can appreciate and understand that? This IS the cosmic battle
This is the heart cry of Paul in Romans 7:15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.
Pauls struggle is our struggle. This helps us understand Christs struggle.
Struggle- and He began to be troubled and deeply distressed. 34 Then He said to them, “My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. ”
The sorrow of Christ was overwhelming to the point of death! If there’s any other way
But why would he do this? He was fully God- God wouldn’t be afraid of anything
John 10:30 “I and the father are one” Colossians 2:9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; John 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”
HE WAS GOD- He was also fully Man- theologians call it “hypostatic union” not divided fully both at the same time-
John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, Philippians 2:7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. John 11:35 Jesus wept. John 19:28 “ I am Thirsty” John 4:6 “being weary from his journey”
What does it mean to you?
You serve a God that understands your Struggle-
2 Corinthians 12:9-10 READ For when I am weak, then I am strong.
The benefits of infirmities (struggles) is that Christs power can be shown through them!
If we never had any struggles- we’d never have any reason to lean on God- we’d take care of everything on our own
1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man;
Its common. It happens to all of us- that is- those of us who are struggling against sin
People who don’t struggle- that embrace sin- don’t identify with this- they embrace it
I try to control my thoughts, my eyes, my actions, my plans- I want them to line up with JESUS
Praise God for it- James 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,
Seems odd to not get upset when you’re going through a struggle- but the Bible says to count it as joy
Struggles grow you. They challenge you. They help you. You identify with Jesus through them
But how do we get through them?
- You get through struggles with Supplication-
- Look at the text- “and prayed that if it were possible” “again he went and prayed” “watch and pray”
- In this text- and in his ministry- the strength of Jesus was through prayer! It was the means by which he was able to maintain a constant contact with the Father and get through his life
- Jesus was struggling- Jesus was concerned- his response? “prayed that if it were possible” “again he went and prayed”
- The bible is undeniably clear that Jesus was a man of prayer. He’d go away, he’d hide away
- Jesus knew the only way through a struggle was to Hold on to the Father. Spend time with HIM
- Matthew 14:23 And when He had sent the multitudes away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. Now when evening came, He was alone there
- Jesus was a man of earnest prayer- Hebrews 5:7 who, in the days of His flesh, when He had offered up prayers and supplications, with vehement cries and tears to Him who was able to save Him from death, and was heard because of His godly fear,
- Is this how you pray? I get alone and pray- I call out to God- I weep. I shout. I connect
- Jesus was an emotional prayer- and it was his connection with the Father that was able to guide him through this struggle of having to go to the Cross- had he not- he may not have been able
- What does it mean to you?
Are you praying to God in the midst of your struggles or are you just praying for forgiveness after?
- Are you depending on God to see you through your trials? Is HE your source of strength or YOU
- Philippians 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
- If you’re struggling, the way through is through prayer- Notice- Jesus prayer didn’t keep him from the Cross- it gave him the strength to go to it and through it- God didn’t deliver him
- Does that mean that God will never deliver you? Not at all-
- Psalm 34:17 The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears, And delivers them out of all their troubles.
- But he encourages us to PRAY- to PRAY 1 Thessalonians 5:17 pray without ceasing,
- Maybe you struggle with prayer- Have you been baptized in the HS? The Bible has promises
- Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us[a] with groanings which cannot be uttered.
- When I don’t know what to pray- the Holy Spirit prays for me- Weird? Jesus sweat blood
- Pastor Kevin- praying for me “was that swahili or tongues” Either way I didn’t understand- but GOD DID
- Ephesians 6:18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—
- Jeremiah 33:3 ‘Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.’
- That’s what a life of prayer will produce!
- To beat the struggle you must have Submission-
- Just like Jesus- we’ve been in that place where we don’t want to do what we need to do
- “take this cup from me” BUT “nevertheless NOT WHAT I WILL BUT WHAT YOU WILL”
- NEVERTHELESS- I don’t want to do this- but its not what I WANT its WHAT YOU WANT
Phil 2:5-8 READ
- “but made him self of no reputation”
- This concept is very hard to grasp- Jesus was God- but he was man- he could have delivered himself, but he was submitting to himself as he is the Father- makes no worldly sense, but in the spirit it does-
- Jesus shows us the way to father- its through Submission. The son of MAN had the desire to NOT go to the cross- but he submitted! He did it!
- Hebrews 12:2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
- He looked PAST the PAIN and saw the JOY for what the Cross produced- He SUBMITTED to accomplish the will of the father- he
- John 6:38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.
- What does it mean to you?
- Are you submitted to God? In every area of your life?
- Here’s what has happened to modern day Christianity- its become a part of people’s lives instead of being their lives.
- The early disciples were willing to cast down their nets, modern day Christians cant even put down their phones.
- Romans 10:3 For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God.
- Here’s the truth- the all encompassing truth of what God and his word requires is not what most people are interested in doing.
- They’ll drive their kids back and forth to a sports practice 5 times a week and scoff at one day of church They’ll purchase houses and cars and scoff at paying tithes They’ll volunteer for the PTA but refuse to serve at church
- And get very very upset when anyone a fellow church member or pastor corrects them of how dare they because its none of their business
- Hebrews 12:9 Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live?
- If church was run like a sports team, many people would be removed from the team-
- Late for practice, bad attitude, not listening to the coach, not learning the plays, fighting with their team members, not taking care of their personal issues. Locker room cancer
- You can’t expect to overcome your struggles if you’re unwilling to Submit to God in every area of your life. You want the Devil to leave you alone? Submit to GOD!
- James 4:7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
- Has your heart become like Jesus to say “not my will but yours be done”
- Struggles are beat with Strength-
After Jesus had struggled, after he had prayed, after he had submitted. It was go time
- 42 Rise, let us be going.
- Let us be going. You cant stay in the struggle- eventually- you have to get up and move on
- Jesus didn’t sit in the garden forever. He sweat blood. He prayed. He submitted and then he went to the cross
- RISE- Let us be going
- Don’t live under any false impressions that Jesus was a guy who sat around in his problems
- I was in mental health- I realize that everyone moves and grows at different levels and speeds
- But I also know this- at some point- you just got to get up and make it happen.
- Here’s what Jesus knew- what God is bringing you to- he will go there with you
- Isaiah 41:10 Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.
- Jesus went to the cross on his own- but God gave him the strength to do so
- I bet he was praying, quoting scripture, setting his mind, and moving forward
- Can you imagine the strength it took to go and walk towards your death?
- Exodus 15:2 The Lord is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation; He is my God, and I will praise Him; My father’s God, and I will exalt Him.’
- What does it mean to you?
- RISE- and get going- quit staying in the struggle phase. Pray, submit, and RISE- get going.
- Deuteronomy 20:4 for the Lord your God is He who goes with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.’
- You’re not going on your own- You’re going with HIM- he’s leading you- he’s guiding YOU
- Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.
- Walk in the strength that God provides
- 2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
- Psalm 31:24 Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart, All you who hope in the Lord.