Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | RSS | More
What Can I Do? (1 Peter 4:10-11)
– My goal for next year is to run 1000 miles. 20 miles a week, maybe throw a marathon in there.
– This is an unrealistic goal, because I am not a runner. I’m an injury waiting to happen.
– Evan is a runner, but I can’t compare myself to him.
– Russell Wilson made the Seahawks Super Bowl Champions. I can’t do that!
– Sure, in some rare scenario, I statistically have a slim chance. (Zombie Apocalypse)
– The classic is telling our kids they can be anything they want when they grow up, like President.
– 1 in 300 million. Our current example not-with-standing, not just anyone can be President.
– I know, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” But I think you are wrong!
– I CAN’T do all things! I am not equipped. (A Moped will not win the Daytona 500.)
– I can’t just “pick a goal” that only brings ME glory, then co-op a bible verse that says I can do whatever I put my mind to.
– The context of that verse is enduring every hardship, living in poverty on an empty stomach… Blue collar apostles preached to kings, and defying the angry mobs…
– All of these examples of “all things” are God glorifying, not man glorifying.
– BUT! If I am doing what Christ has called me to do, even if it is beyond my own capabilities, then I CAN and will succeed at it, because Christ will give me the strength to do it, for His glory!
- What can “I” do?
– I feel like this all the time. What difference can I make? With politics, social issues, poverty…
– My contribution feels meaningless in the big scheme of the world. My skills are insufficient!
– Example: Radio interview with founder of child rescue organization. Are you really making a difference? “I’m not qualified to answer that. You need to ask one of the girls we rescued.”
– 1 Peter 4:10-11, 10 God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. 11 Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.
– The “gift of helping others”? What special skills does that take???
– God has given you a special gift. When activated by the Holy Spirit, it will bring God glory.
**So the answer is IN the question: What can I do? What CAN you do?
- What CAN you do?
– Romans 12:6a, In His grace, God has given us different gifts for doing certain things well.
– Example: Qmissions, ORH, Mexico house build, a variety of PEOPLE, and a variety of JOBS to do.
– I’m not a skilled tradesman. I care. I try. I’m better at breaking things, than fixing things.
– BUT! Everyone chose to be there, and did what they could, and God got the glory for it.
– Painting, Roofing, Wiring, shopping, teaching the children art, making the porch!
– Together we made a difference for a family. They know Jesus loves them.
– Old man sweeping up litter, serving!! (YWAM has the DTS program. Learn first, then serve.)
**Maybe the real question is not, “What CAN you do?” It’s, “What WILL you do??”
- What WILL you do?
– How are you using your time, gifts, and talents? Glorify God, serving others? Or only yourself?
– Galatians 5:13, For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love.
– You can use your gifts to do whatever you want. But God gave them to you so that you could serve your brothers and sisters, and the church.
– Like in Mexico, the opportunities to serve in the church are diverse and endless.
– Don’t make excuses for why you CAN’T!
– If you have to convince yourself that your service is actually for others, maybe it’s not?!
– Romans 12:3 says, “Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves…”
– People will immediately start making excuses for why they can’t do something. No time, no money, no skills, etc… When really, they just aren’t willing to do it.
– Colossians 3:23, Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.
– Through the Holy Spirit you will be able, if you will make yourself available.
– God can keep you winning, if you will be willing.
– “Don’t tell me what you’re not, or don’t got, or can’t do. Serve God just how He made you.”
– START NOW! You exist “right now”. You are not your past, or your future. (Change right now!)
**If you are still wondering, “What can I do?” Well… You tell me!
– prayer –