Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | RSS | More
These are the pastors actual sermon notes. Depending on time, the Holy Spirit, and how thing go in the church service the actual sermon may vary.
What is it to you?
What does it say
- Peter confronts Jesus about the status of John “but Lord, what about this man?”
- Jesus says to him, I could make this guy live until I return if I wanted to, but what concern is that to you? Follow me, not him. Then, there was a string of people that began to believe that John didn’t die, but John sets em straight- he said that Jesus said, “If I will”. Then John writes that it is him that is testifying of these things and that it is true. He finishes by saying that if everything was written down about Jesus and what he did, that the world couldn’t contain all the books.
What does it mean
- Don’t Change Your Focus
Peter quickly changes his focus
- Its interesting how fast the mind of peter changes- its been a week since we read last weeks passage- but in the Bible- its right before we get to this part
- Just a few short passages before- Peter tells Jesus “I love you” Jesus tells peter “follow me”
- and then shortly after- Jesus takes his focus off “I love you Jesus” to “But Lord, what about this man”
- Whats happening, is that Peter has now been called to follow Jesus- and it appears as if immediately along side him, the “one whom Jesus loved” begins to follow him also (we know him- its John)
- For whatever reason- Peter immediately asks Jesus? “but Lord, What about this man”?
- It doesnt surprise me actually- Peter is human- I’m sure that after Jesus gave him this big I love you pep talk- Peter is worried about his place. His real estate- his standing with Jesus
- Lets be honest- being on first name basis with Jesus would be pretty cool- being told that you’re going to be used by God to bring forth the church is pretty cool
- But human nature is that we are very very protective of our status and stature in this world and if we perceive that someone else is trying to take it- we immediately work at trying to keep it-
- Captain of a team, A love interest, a job, a position, Think about our politicians!
- Peter has changed his focus from Following Jesus to worrying about someone else
- Psalm 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night
- what a beautiful thing that Peter has experienced- he should have stayed focused
- What does it mean to you?- Stay focused on Jesus
- Colossians 3:2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.
- alot of turmoil in your life can be taken care of if you remain focused on Jesus above all else
- QUIT WORRYING ABOUT WHAT GOD IS DOING IN SOMEONE ELSE- (Joel Osteen house)
- Proverbs 2:20-25 says to pay attention to Gods word, shut your mouth, 25 Let your eyes look straight ahead, And your eyelids look right before you.
- And I get it- life is a crazy thing- its easy to be pulled in directions that are not of God into things that will not satisfy
- I’m not saying that these things are important- I’m just saying that they can consume you to the point that you no longer are consumed with the things of God
- I get it- we’re a complaining culture- we love to speak our mind and share what we know and demolish people- online reviews, complaints, expose’s, I see that stuff and I feel bad-
- Do you know how many people I have heard say things like “I’m going to get them fired” or “i’m going to have their job” or “I can’t wait to write a horrible review online”
- I get it- sometimes bad things happen- sometimes people need to be dealt with- but its really easy to be pulled into things that have no spiritual value that are just going to consume your time and energy and produce absolutely zero results spiritually- they are just going to consume you- What this pastor did, what this book says, what so and so did- I’m working on me! NoTime
- Its like this coffee bar across the street- girls scantily dressed serving up “coffee” I get it- its disgusting- its sad- its unbelievable- It was a really huge deal 1 year ago when we moved in
- Hasn’t seem to stop our growth- but I’d rather focus on the fact that we have had people saved, serving up meals, helping people in need, growing relationships
- I could have spent the last year fighting the city, the courts, the stand etc.
- To what end? I’ve grown so much spiritually in the last year because I’ve been focusing on JESUS and sharing HIM
- Romans 8:5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
- “what about the moral decay” I get it- but thats not the marching orders that Peter or I got- it was Follow me- Make disciples- and I’ll do what I can do when I can do it- but I’m not going to let anyone take away my focus of making disciples.
- Some of you here- Dont even have a focus! you dont know what you’re doing!
- Ministry in the church 2. ministry in your home 3. Ministry in the community
- me? 1. Equip the saints- I’m supposed to be equipping you to do the work of the ministry
- Lead my family to Jesus- love and lead them. Raise them to love God
- I’m an encourager and inviter. When I’m in the community- I know thats what I do
- But what do you do? What is YOUR focus? If you dont know your focus its easy to have someone come along and encourage you to have THEIR focus-
- I’m not saying you can get out of serving because its not your calling- I can do yard work while I”m equipping the saints
- Everyone on the team has to have a position- Football- First day- Lineman go over there
- So what happens next
- Stay in your lane
Jesus rebukes Peter
- 22 Jesus said to him, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.”
- 23 Then this saying went out among the brethren that this disciple would not die. Yet Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you?”
- This is great discourse! I love the way that Jesus puts Peter in his place. Mostly because I like it that Jesus is seen as a well rounded communicator
- WWJD? He might just say- well, whats it to you? Literally, what as concerns thee?
- Why are you concerned with what is going on with John?
- Jesus says to Peter- You know what Peter? I’m the one who’s calling the shots her, and if I wanted to have John live until I come back, I could do that
- There’s actually some people that believe that John is still alive today- and if Jesus wanted that- he could do that.
- I don’t think that’s what happened- actually John questions him “then this saying went among”
- But John clarifies- IF I will- meaning, if I wanted to I could- I’m not going to, but if I wanted to, I could
- Basically- Jesus can do whatever he wants- and who are you to ask him about it?
- Seems kind of odd to have Jesus be so harsh with Peter, but lets be honest- Peter lost his focus very quickly and then his biggest concern was- What about John? What is HE doing?
- The Bible actually says a bit about minding your own business
- I thes 411 that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you,
- Even tells us why this is a good thing-
- 12 that you may walk properly toward those who are outside, and that you may lack nothing.
- Proverbs 26:17 He who passes by and meddles in a quarrel not his own
Is like one who takes a dog by the ears
- 1 Timothy 5:13 And besides they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house, and not only idle but also gossips and busybodies, saying things which they ought not.
- Here’s a verse- that if this doesn’t stop you dead in your tracks about getting into other peoples business I don’t know what would
- 1 Peter 4:15But let none of you suffer as a murderer, a thief, an evildoer, or as a busybody in other people’s matters.
- The context of that verse is that if you kill, steal, do evil or get involved in other peoples business, you deserve the suffering you get
- Here’s some news- well adjusted people don’t sit around and talk about other people-
- Eleanor Roosevelt Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
- Too many people need to hear the words of Jesus when they are overly concerned with what is going on with other people
- Why does so and so get this job, get that house, get that spouse, get that raise, get that promotion, get that friend, get that vacation, get that whatever
- Facebook has made this worse- I know that I have fallen prey to it- one day I was sitting at home when it was 100 degrees and everyone else was out living it up
- So I photoshopped myself in everyones pictures- it was funny- but that’s where it came from
- Jesus wants YOU to be concerned with YOU and where YOU are in your spiritual life
- It is of NO concern why Jesus is doing something else in someone else.
- Jesus said in Luke 6:42Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me remove the speck thatis in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck that is in your brother’s eye.
- Yes- there are times when get into peoples lives. Yes there are times when you need to intervene
- But what we’re talking about here is an HEART condition that is concerned TOO MUCH with the affairs of others instead of focusing on their relationship with God
- Follow Jesus
- Jesus says to Peter- (again) FOLLOW ME
- Phil 1:15-18 READ
- Worry about if Christ is being preached- that’s what Paul wanted- Christ to be preached!
- The call of Jesus to the disciples- has been and continues to be- Follow ME
- There was a reason Jesus told this to Peter and John included it in the end of the book of John
- Your relationship with Jesus is on YOU
- Yes, the church helps, the pastor helps, your friends help, your spouse helps
- But at the end of the day- its on you
- Church complaints sound like- I’m serving but no one else is serving, so I’m not going to serve until they serve (Because I’m only serving because other people serve)
- If they aren’t going to tithe, I’m not going to tithe
- If they aren’t going to be nice, I’m not going to be nice
- If they aren’t going to follow Jesus, I’m not going to follow Jesus
- There’s a theme here folks- Jesus wants you to follow HIM
- I don’t know any other organization in the world that tolerates half heartedness
- No job, no relationship, no team, no club, why should the church tolerate it?
- Better yet- why would you tolerate it in yourself? Don’t you want more for yourself?
- Follow Jesus- Don’t worry about John or Peter or anyone else- Follow Jesus and do what HE says to do- more than likely- he’s going to send you to go and love on people and serve them
John Throws Some Hyperbole