Ex 3:7-10. The God who will.
- If you’re here right now and going through it, God will come. He will show up • He has not forgot about you. He has not forsaken you. He has not left you alone. • You work hard, but you have a bad boss. You take care of yourself but health problems come.
You doing all you can in your marriage, with your kids, your finances, but you need GOD to move! HE will do it! He will! I know he will! You do your part, and God will do his part
1. God sees what you’re going through- He will have compassion
- 7 And the Lord said: “I have surely seen the oppression of My people who are in Egypt, and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters, for I know their sorrows. • It is important to understand that the compassion of the Lord is directly connected to the nature and character of God- He is a compassionate God!
- One of the problems of modern day Christianity is that many people put the emphasis on the value of the person, instead of the value of God. It’s a great selling point. BUT GOD IS GREATER • If you take a bunch of people who think they are worthless, and tell them that they have worth in the eyes of God, it boosts their self esteem. Gives them value.
- And that’s true. You do have worth. God does love you and you do have value. Immense. • But I think if you talk to many non-christians they’ll say they are a good person in general. • But God is even greater than us. We aren’t good enough to die for, or good enough to help. • But HE in his powerful wisdom and benevolence comes with compassion to save us and love us • It was because of HIS goodness that he has compassion, not because of OUR goodness • Titus 3:5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He
saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, • God is Love:1 John 4:8, 1 John 4:16: God is Light 1 John 1:5 God is Spirit: John 4:24: Psalm 90:2: • God is Immutable (Unchanging) Malachi 3:6 God is Omnipotent (All-Powerful) Revelation 19:6
God is Omniscient (All-Knowing) Psalm 147:51 John 3:20 God is Omnipresent (Present Everywhere) Psalm 139:7-10 Jeremiah 23:24 God is Just and Righteous: Psalm 89:14: God is Merciful and Gracious Ex 34:6-7: God is Faithful 1 Corinthians 1:9:
- There’s some points to make in this scripture
- God sees and hears the suffering of His people (v. 7a) I have seen, I have heard, I know their sorrows. There’s nothing that God doesn’t see and know.
- He saw the Hebrews. Their toil. Pain. Slavery. Hurt. Fears. Abuse. All of it. • Now- There’s nothing that God doesn’t see- but the issue is, why doesn’t God always do? • I don’t know how or why, but I know that he does. God eventually shows up. • Israel was in captivity 430 years. I’m sure they thought God had forgot about them • Its been on my mind- Abraham, Isaac, Jacob. We think so much in our right now time, that if we
don’t see deliverance in our lifetime, we feel like its never going to happen. • But maybe your kids might see it. Better country. Lower interest. Better life. Who knows. • God is moved by compassion to act on behalf of His people (v. 7b) God promises to deliver and
bless His people (v. 8) (early years- Oneils taking our kids- Just giving us a break- compassion) • Psalm 103:13: “As a father pities his children, so the Lord pities those who fear Him.” • God cares immensely about people in General, but specifically he cares about those who are his • Before you’re his, he loves you and wants you to come to him, but once you do, even more
- This why Jesus said in John 15:7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.
- Lamentations 3:22-23: “Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.” • That’s the mercy of God! Every day they are new! He is faithful to see us through it because of his compassion- Because of who he is. He desires to show it!
- This is an important attribute for you to think about when you’re beating yourself up because of your bad decisions, or circumstances outside of control.
- Remind yourself in prayer- thank God for his compassion. Understand that’s his nature. • Ever been going through it and no one notices or cares? You just trudging along, and no one even says- “hey man, looks like you’re going through it” God sees it. He knows. • When you focus on God’s compassion, you’ll have more peace. More Joy. More love.
2. God Has compassion- he will show up
- 8 So I have come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up from that land to a good and large land, to a land flowing with milk and honey, to the place of the Canaanites and the Hittites and the Amorites and the Perizzites and the Hivites and the Jebusites
- Our God is a rescuer. Its what he does. God shows himself as a rescuer time and time again • Noah, in obedience to God, found refuge from the floodwaters in the ark. Lot and his family were delivered from the impending destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah by divine intervention. The Israelites cross the Red Sea on dry ground. Daniel’s faith in the lion’s den, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego emerged unscathed from a blazing furnace. Jonah, swallowed by a great fish given a second chance. Paul encountered divine deliverance multiple times, earthquakes in prison to shipwrecks at sea.
- All of these are examples and precursors to Jesus’ ultimate rescue, defeating sin and death. • READ Ezekiel 34:11-16 I myself will search and seek them out, I will seek out my sheep and deliver them, I will bring them out, I will feed them, I will feed my flock
- So were’ here in the exodus 3 scripture and what do we see: I have seen, heard their cry, I know their sorrows, I have come down, I have also seen, I will send
- The idea is this- That the salvific power of the Lord is always initiated by him. We must respond, but he is the one who initiates the rescue and the deliverance. He is the one who does it. • Whats interesting, is that many Jewish scholars interpretation of Ex 13:18 believe that Many of the Israelites stayed back in Egypt and didn’t follow Moses. Some say only 1 in 5 left Egypt. • We see this in our own lives, there’s many people who reject God’s call for salvation. • 1 Tim 2: 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. • But we see in
- John 3:16-17: “For God so loved the world Ephesians 2:4-5: God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses Romans 5:8: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us .Titus 3:4-5: not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us John 6:44: “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him 1 John 4:10: In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son Ephesians 1:4-5: “Just as He chose us in Him before the
foundation of the world, Romans 8:29-30: “For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son 2 Timothy 1:9: not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace
- Its all God! He’s the instrument of our Salvation! He’s the one who comes to rescue us! • Now what is Hard, is that because we’re a bunch of indulgent Americans, we think because we are going through something that every Bible verse applies to our circumstances. • And many times, what we interpret as oppression is actually the by-product of our horrible decision making and lack of planning for foreseeable calamity and destruction • Not taking care of your health, not taking care of your car, not having a budget, life insurance, neglecting your marriage, not parenting your kids, not working hard at your job, not apply yourself, being lazy, continuing in sin, feeding on the flesh, being a jerk, etc etc. • You can’t be the author of your own destruction and the be mad at God for not delivering • This scripture we have today is directly connected to the oppression of the Egyptians • But God raises up a deliverer. His guy- Moses and then God does miraculous things through him! God, because of his compassion, shows up for Israel with Moses
- Deliverance is the promise. Its when you cry for your desires to change, your strength to continue, your depression to life, your spiritual oppression to flee! GOD WILL SHOW UP • We serve a God that delivers! That gives strength and power and will bring you out! • Whatever it is that you may be going through right now that isn’t of your own doing, God can and will deliver you. I don’t know how or when but he will. I know it bc that’s what he does. • Don’t know if this is still the case- but when in Army- They’d have a brigade on-call. Same w God
3. God will you use- You will be sent.
- 10 Come now, therefore, and I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring My people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt.
- An interesting part of Gods deliverance is that often his deliverance require some sort of obedience. He doesn’t do it all. You get involved with the process- He will call you. • Noah had to build the boat, Moses had to go to Pharoah, Israelites had to leave, Disciples had to drop their nets, Paul had to Go to Damascus.
- Notice the trend? It’s not always just God showing up and doing it all. You got to put your hands to the plow. God gets you involved in the process of your deliverance, if only faithfulness in it. • Its always interesting how little people want to get involved in the process of deliverance • Exodus 19:5-6: you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people Deuteronomy 28:1-2: if you diligently obey the voice of the Lord your God…the Lord your God will set you high above all nations of the earth.” • Jeremiah 7:23: ‘Obey My voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be My people. And walk in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well with you.’ Malachi 3:10: “Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, and try Me now in this,’ Matthew 7:24-27: “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, James 1:22: “But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.”
- The demand from the Lord to be a person that responds to what he asks, and then be delivered is clear. God often works in concert with the lives of his people.
- 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- Here’s whats interesting about this story- its very Christological
- You can see the story of Christ in this, and Moses is a precursor directing us to see Jesus • Deliverers and Saviors: Moses and Jesus were chosen by God as deliverers and saviors of their people. Moses out of slavery in Egypt, Jesus came to save you from the bondage of sin. • Infancy Peril: As infants, both Moses and Jesus faced threats to their lives. • Prophet and Mediator: Moses heard from God, Jesus heard from the father. Moses was mediator between God and people. Jesus is your mediator between God. • Intercessors: Moses and Jesus both interceded on behalf of the people • Miraculous Signs: Moses and Jesus had miraculous signs and still does today! • law and Grace: Moses delivered the Law- Jesus fulfilled the Law- you walk in victory. • Shepherds: Moses shepherded the Israelites Jesus is often referred to as the Good Shepherd, • Rejection and Acceptance: Both Moses and Jesus faced rejection and opposition from their own people. Despite their rejection, the plan of God prevailed.
- Leaders and Teachers: Moses and Jesus were leaders and teachers, imparting spiritual truths and guiding people in their relationship with God. JESUS and the word guides you TODAY • Transfiguration: Moses appeared alongside Jesus during the Transfiguration, symbolizing the connection between the Law (represented by Moses) and the fulfillment of the Law in Christ. • Christ is your Moses- He is your deliverer. He is the one leading you through your wilderness. Walking you through your deliverance. Follow him. Let him lead you. Trust him. • But what do we DO with it?
- One- Realize God is compassionate two- wait for him to show up. Three- let him use you • How will he use you? Be obedient to what you know. Be the hands and feet of Jesus • Live the compassion of God- Be a compassionate person- Give people grace who are in it. • We serve a miraculous God- but it is we who are charged with the great commission • You can be used by God as an answer to someone else’s prayer.
- Moses was the deliverer of the Israelites, and Jesus is the deliverer of us, but you are used by God as means by which he can bring people to him.
- But Jesus is STILL leading you through. HE is the one that you follow. HE is the deliverer. • How can he use you?
- One- Preach the Gospel- Preaching the Gospel to all creation. Let them know the truth • But you have to live this truth as well- live the word. Not just preach it • Two- Disciple people to walk in the ways of the Lord- you might be saved, but you don’t know
how to walk out your faith. Learn the word and the ways and teach others the same. • Three– Serve other people. Serving people can show people the truth of your conversion • It shows them the compassion of the Lord through you. Learn to listen and love. • Four- Pray that God would move. Entreat him on behalf of others and yourself.