Wednesday, Sept 18, 2019
Pastor Steve preaching notes
All Scriptures in NKJV
“Wear This World Like a Loose Shirt”
- Opening Scripture: Paul’s 18 months in Corinth
Acts 18: 5-17 … (5) “When Silas and Timothy had come from Macedonia, Paul was compelled by the Spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus is the Christ. (6) But when they opposed him and blasphemed, he shook his garments and said to them, “Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean. From now on I will go to the Gentiles.” (7) And he departed from there and entered the house of a certain man named Justus, one who worshiped God, whose house was next door to the synagogue. (8) Then Crispus, the ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his household. And many of the Corinthians, hearing, believed and were baptized. (9) Now the Lord spoke to Paul in the night by a vision, “Do not be afraid, but speak, and do not keep silent;
(10) for I am with you, and no one will attack you to hurt you; for I have many people in this city.” (11) And he continued there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them.
(12) When Gallio was proconsul of Achaia, the Jews with one accord rose up against Paul and brought him to the judgment seat, (13) saying, “This fellow persuades men to worship God contrary to the law.” (14) And when Paul was about to open his mouth, Gallio said to the Jews, “If it were a matter of wrongdoing or wicked crimes, O Jews, there would be reason why I should bear with you.(15) But if it is a question of words and names and your own law, look to it yourselves; for I do not want to be a judge of such matters.” (16) And he drove them from the judgment seat. (17) Then all the Greeks took Sosthenes, the ruler of the synagogue, and beat him before the judgment seat. But Gallio took no notice of these things.”
Breakaway Jersey Analogy (50’s, 60’s, 70’s)
- 70’s … Raiders
- Cliff Branch… Fred Biletnikoff
Paul’s Breakaway (one of many):
Acts 18:6-7 … (6)“ But when they opposed him and blasphemed, he shook his garments and said to them, “Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean. From now on I will go to the Gentiles.”(7) And he departed from there and entered the house of a certain man named Justus, one who worshiped God, whose house was next door to the synagogue.”
Ezekiel 33: 1-6 .. (Only Mention this – no need for overhead)
- Remember … (Paul Stoned and Raised Up)
Acts 14:19-20 ..(19) “Then Jews from Antioch and Iconium came there; and having persuaded the multitudes, they stoned Paul and dragged him out of the city, supposing him to be dead.
(20) However, when the disciples gathered around him, he rose up and went into the city. And the next day he departed with Barnabas to Derbe.”
- Remember…”The Roll Call of the Heroes of Faith”
Hebrews 11:1&6 …”Faith”
(1) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. ……(6) But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.”
Hebrews 11:8-9 – “Abraham”
(8) By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. (9) By faith he dwelt in the land of promise as in a foreign country, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise;”
Hebrews 11: 23-27 – “Moses”
(23) By faith Moses, when he was born, was hidden three months by his parents, because they saw he was a beautiful child; and they were not afraid of the king’s command. (24) By faith Moses, when he became of age, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, (25) choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin,(26) esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt; for he looked to the reward. (27) By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king; for he endured as seeing Him who is invisible.”
OT Martyrs (Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel)
Stephen Martyred – Acts 7 (Only Mention This)
I John 2:15-17 … (15) Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. (16) For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. (17) And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.
Mark 13: 14-16 …(14) “So when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’ spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not” (let the reader understand), “then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. (15) Let him who is on the housetop not go down into the house, nor enter to take anything out of his house. (16) And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes.
The enemy whispers… you can live without “ALL THIS” anytime you want to…..right now, you just don’t want to!!
for more sermons please visit our SERMONS PAGE
to be notified when we live stream subscribe to our YOUTUBE PAGE